Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpath suggetions

MIKE_B

(fastest) = peel mill, IMHO.

Now, if you're not willing to deal with all that code, you could always set it up on an angle plate and run through those slots with a saw blade.

But that all depends on the material type, tolerance, cutter availability, etc, etc.

Your robo should be able to handle the code for something like this in peel mill.

At most you'd have to program 1 slot and use it as a sub-program for the rest of the slots.

Is there another reason you don't want to use peal mill?

Have you played with your filter settings? Peel Mill is pretty much one of my go to paths now a days. Even on 3D parts I will project my chains to my Z depths for cuts. I then make my over lap and go from there. So much nicer than Core Rough or anything else for open shapes. OPTI REST is another one I like, but need some stuff to help it work the best.

I just ran a test peel mill path at the machine. 22000 rpm 115 ipm .010 step over. with a 3/32 EM

The machine feedrate never made it above 30ipm. I think this is a robodrill thing. If it were much faster the machine would shake way to much for my liking anyway.

It took approx. 7 min for 1 slot. and the code took up most of the machine memory.

I attached the test file if someone can take a look and maybe give me an idea if I am doing something wrong.

TEST.MCX-7

Stand it up and use a .130 Thurston slitting saw or equivalent to mill it after milling the profile of the outside of the fins, use an extended arbor to get all the slots in 1 op.

If you have to stay laying down, maybe try to select all the fins and go with a simple contour with depth cuts, and step down by depth, then take a finish pass on the walls, it would create a lot less code.

Made a few heatsinks before, these are two of the techniques we used.