Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cut my first impeller today

Chipmakr

This is my first successful attempt at machining an impeller. I tried one a few years ago that had a splitter vane and a wicked twist, but couldn't get thru it without violating the vanes. I am a much better programmer now & the programming tools have gotten better & easier to use. Plus we have a machine that is made for full five axis high speed machining now. This one needs some improvements to the surface finish and improved blends, but I am happy to get one finished and I know improvement will come.

2014 03 25 18 20 06 493

2014 03 25 18 20 15 843

2014 03 25 18 20 28 478

• Like 3

SUHWEET!

Great Work!

Can we get get a pimp your impeller gallery where people can post the sweet impellers or turbomachinery parts. Nothing to me shows the capabilities of modern machine tools more than sweet impellers!

Can't wait to get after some turbomachinery. Looks like time to build that RC turbine engine lol!

LOL @ "violating the vanes" I know that feeling for sure. Looks great, did you use Blade Expert or just wing it?

No blade expert. I did buy the "MastercamX7_Multiaxis_ProCourseware" PDF and worked my way thru the impeller related tutorials. I started off using the canned tool box tool paths and would get generally happy and then make a copy of that operation and switch to the advanced interface and adjust my margins etc...

How long to program it?

It probably took me about 30 hours total to program it. I started with several models from grabcad and tried to find one that was doable but no not easy. Then I scaled it down to fit into my blank. I started with one model and then switched to another. On one model I could get the floor motion I wanted and one I could get the vane motion I wanted. The one I cut has the better vane motion, but I still haven't gotten happy with the floor on it. Some of my floor roughing is still 3+2. If I had the right code I think the parts could run a good bit quicker on this machine.

How did you run the machine with the door open? Our HSM400U has 2 door locks.

Ours just has one lock and we made some extra "dummy keys" for set up purposes. We took most of the video's with the door closed. We have our GoPro camera mounted in there with a suction cup mount.

Nice job! Looks like a very aggressive blade. What size inducer/exducer?

I have no idea what size it is. My blank was 3"OD so I scaled it down to about 2.95Ø.

Floors are actually the hardest part, I finally got handy with them after about the 5th different design. Several little tricks, so many I had to take screenshots and put together a reference on paper.

Making it (the floor) smooth don't necessarily increase performance or efficiency on the turbo. I use .05 stepovers, takes a lot less time identical results.

No blade expert here either.