Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X3 trying to configure at computer restart

Tim Pruett

I have a computer with windows XP and mastercam x6 wire on it. I have remove/deleted mastercam X3 and X4 from the computer and now everytime I restart the computer it tries to configure X3. I had a problem when I installed X6 where it said it couldn't find the disk copy of x3 so I think I put an X3 disk in and then it worked but I can't remember for sure. I'm pretty sure I did a stand alone install because we completely started over with a new post and new power libraries. How do I get it to quit configuring X3 at start up? TIA, Tim

be sure that there is no folders with X3 or X4 names on it. rename you Config folder and restart X6 after deleting the following:

Delete the following registry entries:

a. HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\CNC Software, Inc.\Mastercam X3 (and X4)

b. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\CNC Software, Inc.\Mastercam X3 (and X4)

You may have things crossed up so much that a fresh install will be needed. Uninstall X6 and then go into the registry and there in the LOCAL and USER

are the CNC Software folders. delete those folders and do the fresh install. Or, search out the X3 and X4 folders and delete those.

Ok, I deleted every mcamx3 and mcamx4 folder in the registry and it's still trying to configure x3 when I restart the computer. There are some folders under HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT which are, .emcx, .emcx5, .mcx, .mcx-5. should I delete these as well? I should mention that there are two other files called .emcx6 and mcx-6. but I don't think I want to delete those. lol

mdean not sure who you are at CNC, but FYI to not get spam to the inbox from bots and such it is a best practice to make it support(at)mastercam(dot)com. :thumbsup:

BTW Welcome to the group and glad to have you a part of the forum.

Thats why i am a Newbie. Thanks for the advice. I am in Tech Support BTW

:cheers:

well I deleted the files listed above and windows is still trying to install X3 at restart. I give up! Time for a "go to meeting with my reseller". Thanks for the help though. I think we gave it a valiant effort.

You need to search the registry for more than just cnc software and more places as well.

Search the whole registry mcam...mill3, mastercam, cnc software, mx3...

Earlier releases of x put a gazillion registry entries...empty the recycle bin too.

After registry is wiped to a power off reboot..make sure the light goes off on the motherboard.

Well my reseller had me unregister and reregister my mcview.dll file and that didn't solve the issue. I reinstalled X3 so I could uninstall it, but it's still not in my add/remove programs list. This is what I believe caused the problem in the first place, because I just deleted it instead of uninstalling it. By the way my reseller now told me that he'd just leave it for now. It's not trying to download x3 now but I would like to remove it. Oh well, I guess it's not eating to much.

This is what I believe caused the problem in the first place, because I just deleted it instead of uninstalling it.

OK for that you get a vigorous Windows spanking from Bill Gates himself ----> :popo:

...AND... a :twak: upside the noggin from your eMC friends to remind you to NEVER do that again! :rant:

It's called tough love here at eMC, and we only do it because we care. :harhar:

I'm glad someone cares. I only deleted it because I couldn't uninstall it. It won't show up in the list of programs to uninstall. I reinstalled X3 so I could try uninstalling it and it still doesn't show up in the add/remove programs list. I downloaded Iobit and tried it but doesn't show up there either. Oh well. I guess I will just leave it.

Not be beat up on Tim...

Manually picking thru the Registry in an attempt to clean up a failed uninstall (OK, a delete :ouch:) of a large Product (such as Mastercam) is like throwing pebbles into the ocean.

You could try using the free MyUnInstaller from NirSoft (good stuff!)

It may not be able to help, since most of the Install data must be present and proper in the Registry for an uninstall to run.

But it’s free and would be quick and easy to try and certainly safer that digging thru the Registry!

An installed Product as a product specific GUID that is used in the Registry for ID purposes.

For fun I exported just the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE hive of the Registry so that I could manipulate it in an editor.

The product specific key for Mastercam X7 (64-bit) was found 2954 times.

And this does not mean that I found all occurrence of the X7 install data within the Registry.

Doing a search for mcamx7 found 3840 occurrences.

Some of these occurrences are "duplicates", as both searched items will sometimes show up together within the same key.

You may not find this many occurrences on your system as X7 has been installed/uninstalled dozens (hundreds?) of times on this system*,

and I've test installed/uninstalled dozens of Mastercam X7 add-ons that would cause mcamx7 to appear in the Registry.

*This is a development system, so Mastercam gets uninstalled/re-installed on average 3-4 times a week.

Some additional reading material on the "self repair" or "self healing" Application Resiliency functionality of Windows Installer.

By design, Windows Installer initiates "self repair" or "self healing" when an entry point to the installed application is launched. Typically, the entry point is an "Advertised" shortcut. When the user clicks on the shortcut, Windows Installer will perform an integrity check to verify all the "key paths" of the installed application are present; if not present, the Windows Installer repair will install any missing component(s) and their key path. The key path of a component is typically a file or shortcut.

Also…

If you look at the end of this posting, you’ll see where I mention the related Darwin Descriptor

What to take away from this story?

1. Never delete Windows programs, uninstall them “properly”.

2. The Self-Healing/Self-Repair of Windows Installer is cool when it works, but when you confuse it (See #1 above), that’s a whole different story.

What to take away from this story?

1. Never delete Windows programs, uninstall them “properly”.

2. The Self-Healing/Self-Repair of Windows Installer is cool when it works, but when you confuse it (See #1 above), that’s a whole different story.

Thanks for the info, Roger!

Very informative and interesting! :cheers:

As I understand Tim's dilemma, Windows would not give him the option to uninstall the correct way.

As you said, a third party uninstall program isn't a bad idea, especially when dealing with huge programs like Mastercam or Solid-Works.

I think it's also best if possible to have that third-party uninstall program working prior to your Mastercam install so it has a 'record' of the installation. ;)