Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

STL is even more horible

oneyankfan1

I just loaded MU2 and brought in an stl and it came in infused with serious visual problems (even worse than before)

the color is not constant, is there a setting to fix this or not?

I DO NOT WANT TO USE A STOCK MODEL FOR THIS!

I dont feel like i need to be force feed the stock model scam because CNC Software keeps making the STL quality worse, I use these as simple visual aids for my setup sheets.

I attached a before and after MU2 screen shot.

post-46368-0-72396600-1397070018_thumb.png

post-46368-0-25146300-1397070258_thumb.png

Yes it is just being pushed on to us! We say "why is the stl quality bad? Cant you fix it?"- they say "just use the stock model". I should be able to use what I want, especially because what the software costs. Plus I think it causes the Operations Manager to have a cluttered look, Ijust want tool paths on there and now I have an eye sore sitting there. Ignorance is just accepting what you are given without questioning anything, like a hurd of cattle.

• Like 2

I hope you realize you can save an .stl file or mesh using the stock model. You may also delete the stock model after you save the .stl or mesh. The stock model was iffy in the first version of this software when it was offered, but the bugs were addressed within months and has became a useful and, in my opinion, vital tool in your toolbox..

Well I was hoping there was a problem with this one file I am working on. Guess I am not alone in this problem :( I sent in some files to my reseller for him to take a look at.

Not being able to import and use STL files is such a huge deal for me. Am I going to have to wait 6 months for a fix for this?

I hope you realize you can save an .stl file or mesh using the stock model. You may also delete the stock model after you save the .stl or mesh. The stock model was iffy in the first version of this software when it was offered, but the bugs were addressed within months and has became a useful and, in my opinion, vital tool in your toolbox..

To bad the stock model doesn't remove chips or support custom profile tools from the tool manager.

Sometime you have to go directly to your reseller to get a less arrogant uninformative answer.

Wish I could help but I don't use .stl's for the reasons you posted in your pics.

I found the Stock model (used only rest ruffing) are better, but then again that's all I would use

either one for.

Am I going to have to wait 6 months for a fix for this?

This may be the last update for X7

No I didnt, but if im going to create the stock model why wouldnt i just keep it? Thats like going 10 miles out of your way to go to the store, its a waste of time and anytime I want to do that I will have to go through that process? And is it as fast as file- save as stl- ok? I could make the stl and merge it faster than the process you bescribe

Holy smokes! I was able to recreate the issue. I verified my part with MU2, saved as an .stl with a .001" curve and .stl tolerance and it made absolute garbage. That will need to be fixed asap. I use the stock model for just about everything, but with the larger programs that stock model may struggle with, I have to use the simulation's created .stl file. Dodgerfan is correct in saying it is currently useless. Saving a solid or surface model to an .stl is fine.

open this file

C:\Users\**** your user name **** Documents\my mcamx7\MastercamSimulatorDefaults.xml

play with this setting

<PrecisionIndex>5</PrecisionIndex>

also

make sure your Precision Slider is all the way to the right

I already have my precision index set to 10. I don't think it has anything to do with the display inside of verify. It's when it saves the file to stl. When I import one of these new stl models and unshade it, it looks fine. As soon as you shade it it goes bonkers.

open this file

C:\Users\**** your user name **** Documents\my mcamx7\MastercamSimulatorDefaults.xml

play with this setting

<PrecisionIndex>5</PrecisionIndex>

also

make sure your Precision Slider is all the way to the right

That is not the problem, my precision is maxed out, and the same stl looks fine in the simulator, but when i merge the stl into mastercam it looks like crap. GMS1 is right unshaded the stl looks fine but when you shade it, it looks terible.

We have isolated the issue you are seeing. It is not a conspiracy to get everyone to move to the stock model tool. It is the side affect of fixing another issue that resulted in the normals in the .stl file being defined differently. The .stl data is perfectly valid as OneYankFan1 has seen when he used the .stl model in the simulator. The issue is in the rendering done in Mastercam. We already have a fix for this in X8 that you will see in the first public beta in May and we are working on a solution for MU2.

• Like 1