Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

problems with MC for SolidWorks copy, drag toolpaths

cspecce

Hello,

I'm trying to copy and paste toolpaths in MasterCAM for SolidWorks and it does not seem to be working for me.

selecting a toolpath operation, then pressing CTRL+C does not work. Right-clicking on the toolpath operation and then selecting copy produces an error message that says "encountered improper argument". This results in my machine group being deleted for good, along with the toolpaths. When I reopen the file, they are gone, even though the file was not saved.

Does anyone know if copying and pasting toolpaths in MasterCAM for SolidWorks is supposed to function as it does in MasterCAM?

I am also not able to drag a toolpath from one machine group to another in MasterCAM for SolidWorks. This was never a problem for me in MasterCAM.

One additional note is as I was tying to solve this problem, my MasterCAMX7 tab in the Command Manager unexpectedly changed the buttons that were available and I was unable to restore the default configuration of this tab without doing a repair install. Is this a known bug? Is there any way to reload the MasterCAMX7 Command Manager Tab?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

I can't reproduce the issue you're having with right-click "copy" - or with the dragging of operations...I'm using X7 Mu2. What are you running?

The issue with the CommandBar can usually be cured by shutting down SW, running the Mastercam Advanced Config executable (in X6 and earlier it was the Control Panel applet) and choosing "reset" on the left and "CommandBar" on the right.

Edited by Pete Rimkus from CNC Software Inc.

Thanks for your reply.

I'm running MasterCAM for SolidWorks HLE at home, but I have an educational license at school. I haven't had a chance to try it on the educational license at school yet.

My SW version is Student edition 2013-2104 64 bit

My MasterCAM for SolidWorks HLE 64 bit, version 16.0.14.105 (thats the info provided by the installer).

I've restarted both SolidWorks and the computer without any luck. I get this error every time I try to copy and paste toolpath operations. CTRL+C does nothing, just makes a "ding" sound.

Thanks again for your help.

You are running the latest version of HLE, but there have been fixes in the Mastercam updates of X7 since then. I don't see any record of there being anything in copying of operations being corrected, though.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention, and we'll pay additional attention to that functionality as we move forward.

As far as Ctrl-C goes, we have a long-standing problem with recognizing keystrokes in the Operations Manager, as well as other keyboard events like 'tab-'ing through the MCforSW-specific Parameter pages in that same pane. We'll keep trying!

OK. Thanks for your reply.

Are you able to check if this is a know bug with MC for SW HLE?

Am I correct in my reading of your first reply that this is not an issue with licensed versions of MC for SW?

I've done a repair install, but should I try uninstalling and reinstalling?

I'm trying to set up a 2 sided milling operation, which requires cutting one side, then flipping the stock and cutting the second side.

My plan was to set up two views/WCS/Tool plane / Construction planes - one for the first side, then one for the second. Then if I could set up a second machine group, I could just copy and paste all of the toolpaths from side 1 into side 2's machine group and reassign the tool planes for the toolpath operations in side 2's machine group.

Since I'm unable to copy toolpath operations, I'm instead going to rotate the part in SolidWorks, but the other option seems more streamlined as it better retains the integrity of the SW model, and works better with curves (containment, contours, etc).

If you have any suggestions for another way to approach this, I would be grateful.

• 6 months later...