Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Code Expert Error Message

Newbeeee™

OMG ... I'm stunned not just because it references DOS (do we have to save as 8 * 3 as well ?) but that the app was upgraded from std windows to .net winforms, at the expense of speed. We use a .net GCode editor here, which can keep up with all but the best of unmanaged apps, speed wise, but can save to all SORTS of devices, URLs, etc.

Sounds like this app needs some TLC.

I still use the old editor to be honest...

But for file compare I use Beyond Compare 3 - it's excellent.

X7 defaults and loads Code Expert - how would I get it to load the old editor by default?

:cheers:

Settings -> Configuration -> Start/Exit -> Choose Editor from Dropdown. If pointing to an application other than one supplied by Mastercam, then choose Other and point to the executable. :)

• Like 1

Settings -> Configuration -> Start/Exit -> Choose Editor from Dropdown. If pointing to an application other than one supplied by Mastercam, then choose Other and point to the executable. :)

Just in case you want to run the old mcam x editor:-

Copy the whole directory into your 7 editors directory (I made a new folder called mcam x editor)

Link it as per Mikes instructions in the config

Post and it will say a couple of missing files - grab them from X5 and drop into X7 where it tells you and all is well (mceditorres.dll and mceditor.chm)

Thanks Mike.

You could get a job as technical support...

LOL, oh the irony.... :)

I run Cimco Edit Professional, and point MC to the Cimco Edit Pro installation. IMO, the last good Mastercam editor was the DOS MCED... :)

Rocheey - In isolation I understand every word you have written.

As sentences I haven't a bloody clue what you're talking about :hrhr:

Unfortunately I hear this a lot at work - but usually supply the Secret Decoder Ring before i open my mouth :/

• Like 1

OMG ... I'm stunned not just because it references DOS (do we have to save as 8 * 3 as well ?) but that the app was upgraded from std windows to .net winforms, at the expense of speed. We use a .net GCode editor here, which can keep up with all but the best of unmanaged apps, speed wise, but can save to all SORTS of devices, URLs, etc.

Sounds like this app needs some TLC.

The error message is saying that whatever path it tried to read from isn't valid somehow. It does the same thing the old editor does, which is wait for the file to be posted and then open the posted file into the editor. It wasn't really "upgraded," it was written from scratch. You should have picked that up from the use of "URI," which didn't exist in DOS days :)

What it's saying is that if you're trying to open a file, and that the path (URI means it could be a website [http], network drive [//ServerName], etc) is pointed to a DOS-based mapping system (i.e.: Microsoft's C:\, D:\, E:\, etc), that the path has to have a complete instruction. I.e., you can't open up \users\Public\Desktop\file.NC, you have to enter C:\users\Public\Desktop\file.NC.

The editor itself will open from anywhere, and if the path is invalid, it'll give you an error based on that input.

Sorry I am late into this, haven't been looking in here since the new forum went live.

We ran into an issue early in X7 with file paths in some foreign languages that I thought were resolved, this may be related in some way. I'd like to see if we can determine your issue so we can address it so others do not have the same issue. Our best bet to start is to look at your exception log file as this should contain information that will help. If you could email me that file along with the full path that you were trying to post to I will hand it over to my developers so they can have a look.

The log file can be found by opening Windows Explorer and typing %TEMP% into the address bar. This will bring you to your system temp folder. The file we need is 'CodeExpert.Exception.log'

If you can email that to [email protected] and mark it attention Paul I will jump on it as soon as it comes in.

Edited by Paul Decelles from CNC Software

It does the same thing the old editor does

It wasn't really "upgraded," it was written from scratch.

Aren't these two statements mutually exclusive ?

As a developer, and Beta tester (but not for MasterCam) I can can tell you that error messages do not necessarily originate from the error point, but percolate up. And as a contract software programmer who has been given a plate of spaghetti code (complete with spaghetti modules and spaghetti classes and with spaghetti events), I can see how this would slip thru.

But you are saying a .Net app, written from scratch, will pop up this DOS error code?

I searched thru the system error message archive at http://msdn.microsof...1(v=vs.85).aspx and was unable to find this error. Every error message has a code/value, could you please share this value ?

Note to self: forget now ever becoming a MasterCam beta tester :/

Sorry I am late into this, haven't been looking in here since the new forum went live.

We ran into an issue early in X7 with file paths in some foreign languages that I thought were resolved, this may be related in some way. I'd like to see if we can determine your issue so we can address it so others do not have the same issue. Our best bet to start is to look at your exception log file as this should contain information that will help. If you could email me that file along with the full path that you were trying to post to I will hand it over to my developers so they can have a look.

The log file can be found by opening Windows Explorer and typing %TEMP% into the address bar. This will bring you to your system temp folder. The file we need is 'CodeExpert.Exception.log'

If you can email that to [email protected] and mark it attention Paul I will jump on it as soon as it comes in.

Paul,

File sent to QC marked for your attention.

Aren't these two statements mutually exclusive ?

No.... Just because something is completely new doesn't mean it can't mimic the functionality of the old one. It follows the same workflow as the previous editor. Mastercam posts out the file and then launches the editor which opens the posted file from where-ever it was posted to.

As a developer, and Beta tester (but not for MasterCam) I can can tell you that error messages do not necessarily originate from the error point, but percolate up. And as a contract software programmer who has been given a plate of spaghetti code (complete with spaghetti modules and spaghetti classes and with spaghetti events), I can see how this would slip thru.

But you are saying a .Net app, written from scratch, will pop up this DOS error code?

I searched thru the system error message archive at http://msdn.microsof...1(v=vs.85).aspx and was unable to find this error. Every error message has a code/value, could you please share this value ?

So you're assuming that it's spaghetti code based on? That's a little harsh...

It appears that it's a function of the System.UriFormatException class in .Net, and googling "invalid URI: A Dos path must be rooted, for example, 'c:\'" will produce numerous examples of other .Net apps running into the same thing. I don't know the error value for it, though.. Sorry!

Either way, it looks like the issue is getting addressed, Thanks Newbeeee!

• 3 months later...