Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X8 upgrade

TERRYH

I just seen this the other day that there was an up coming X8 release, we are currently using X6 because of all the problems I seen on here that people were having with the X7 release. It seem all the odd numbers MCX has are not the best, but even numbers are more stable. Is there enough good solid improvements in X8 to make it worth the change? From what I seen I believe it is still in beta, but could be wrong cause I haven't done a lot of research into it yet just looking for some feedback from the guys who tested it compared to X7 user's.

I've been using the Beta for two weeks now and I really like it. Seems to me to be Stable on the stuff I've tried. Looks a lot different than X7 (different icons and colors) but I'm not very crazy about. Much easier to select/chain parts with the 2D HST paths. Also The new "model prep" makes modifying solids a breeze.

If you're on maintenance you can download the X8 beta to test it out yourself.

There's a thread on here about it with links and instruction on how to download it.

Go here. http://www.emastercam.com/board/index.php?showtopic=77786

I believe there's also a version available for user not on maintenance. Not sure what the process for that is, but I believe there info on that as well on the thread that I mentioned.

I would suggest that you try that route. That way you can try it out for yourself and see if it's worth will for your needs.

• 3 weeks later...

I really like X8, especially the verify. When you move around, you don't see flashes of the complete stock like X7. You can also verify HUGE files without having to buy an expensive computer due to crashing. I am currently working on a POS comp (4g ram, bare bone video card) and attempting a large 5 axis file. So far I am impressed.

Although I find the new graphic background color somewhat refreshing, I notice I need to change the line thickness in order to see them better. I would probable end up going back to black for the more seeable details, but at this time it isn't available. Need to bring back the option, not a game breaker though.

Dan,

you can set the background color to anything you like.

Settings/Configuration/Color

For a eye on the eyes Catia like background,

try

Gradient Background End color = 0

Gradient Background Start Color = 155

If you want a plain black background

Set the Gradient background direction Drop Down to None

and set

graphics background color to Black

At this time the Verify background is not customizable,

it inherits it's color from the main graphics view.

Take a look in the Mastercam INdustrial forum on CNC Software hosed site. I started a topic on Interface looks.

X8 has been real stable for me since probably TP2. I was not happy with the interface at all, but CNC did some cool stuff with the interface and now WE have about 12 choices for it's look/feel.

Take a look in the Mastercam INdustrial forum on CNC Software hosed <--- (Was this word intentional? LOL) site. I started a topic on Interface looks.

X8 has been real stable for me since probably TP2. I was not happy with the interface at all, but CNC did some cool stuff with the interface and now WE have about 12 choices for it's look/feel.

Just sayin'...LOL

Dan,

you can set the background color to anything you like.

Settings/Configuration/Color

For a eye on the eyes Catia like background,

try

Gradient Background End color = 0

Gradient Background Start Color = 155

If you want a plain black background

Set the Gradient background direction Drop Down to None

and set

graphics background color to Black

At this time the Verify background is not customizable,

it inherits it's color from the main graphics view.

Awesome, changed all to 0 or black. Worked, thanks I missed all the beta year and have some catching up to do.

X8 is a defendant upgrade.

Just sayin'...LOL

Haha - I read it laughing thinking it was sausage fingers....but Foggy could have been making a point as the site was down for a few days :lol:

The crystal ball was fuzzy and I didn't realise that we had to go direct to mastercam.com - I guess an auto re-direct may have been a better alternative... :D