Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Stock model & Custom Tool

dan.w

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a stock model from an op using a custom tool and I'm getting the following message:

"Stock model regen failed to access toolpath data - unsupported type? unsupported tool or bad tool definition? missing custom tool file."

The tool geometry is coming from a dxf file. I had no problems creating the tool and it verifies just fine. For some reason the Stock Model operation can't use it.

Are there any special requirements for Stock Model that dictate the tool type or the location for a custom tool's geometry?

Thank you for any advice,

Dan

post-47490-0-55426800-1403184771_thumb.jpg

Hi All,

I'm trying to create a stock model from an op using a custom tool and I'm getting the following message:

"Stock model regen failed to access toolpath data - unsupported type? unsupported tool or bad tool definition? missing custom tool file."

The tool geometry is coming from a dxf file. I had no problems creating the tool and it verifies just fine. For some reason the Stock Model operation can't use it.

Are there any special requirements for Stock Model that dictate the tool type or the location for a custom tool's geometry?

Thank you for any advice,

Dan

What version are you on? That might be a dare I say it item in need on enhancement. (bug) :turned:

The Version shouldn't be a problem - I'm on X7-mu2

I looked at the geometry in the dxf file and the insert radii were represented by 250 segments so I simplified it with simple arcs - same error.

I drew the cut layer as a round insert - same error. See attached image.

I moved the files to the tool folder in the shared X7/mill/tools/ directory to see if it made any difference.

In each instance the back-plot and verify windows all looked good, but when I regen the stock-op I'm getting the same message.

I'll try a different custom tool and see if it makes a difference - but it seems strange that everything else can recognize the tool geo, just not the stock-op.

post-47490-0-77430900-1403198788_thumb.jpg

Ah. I now I see what's confusing it. It doesn't like hollow tools or tool bodies. Here's my 2" indexable high feed profile:

HFMPROFILE_zps89ca44cf.png

Yes that is the problem. The lines need to go to the center line. You can have undercut to the bottom of the tool, but not to the top. Also it looks like that is 90 degree to where it should be. Think of the center of the profile which would be the perfect center and bottom of the tool needs to be ay 0,0,0 in the top view. Anything other than that is going to be a problem. Look at the FTP I have put many different tools over the years on there. Make sure you remove the centerline as it is no longer needed.

Sidebar, I turn off the center points of arcs on my screen. Sorry Matt, but they annoy me. :turned:

HTH

• 3 months later...