Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Require operator input. "Yes" or "No"

savagkd

Sorry, I would like to program a Manual Entry Toolpath that will stop the program "M00" and ask for input from the operator.

"Is the dust collection on? Y or N" ...or any other question.

If the operator inputs "Y" then Cycle Start the program will continue.

If the operator inputs "N" then Cycle Start the program will rewind or goto another command.

How do I code that?

Sorry, I would like to program a Manual Entry Toolpath that will stop the program "M00" and ask for input from the operator.

"Is the dust collection on? Y or N" ...or any other question.

If the operator inputs "Y" then Cycle Start the program will continue.

If the operator inputs "N" then Cycle Start the program will rewind or goto another command.

How do I code that?

I have never heard of that. Not sure that's possible. I might be wrong, but.

Use macro variable 3006 to pause and ask question.

%

O0001(DUMMY PROG)

N98

#3006=100(RU STUPID)

(IF NO ENTER 1 IN VARIABLE #500)

IF[#500NE1]GOTO99

#3006=101(RU SURE)

(IF YES ENTER 1 IN VARIABLE #501)

IF[#501NE1]GOTO99

#3006=102(TRY AGAIN)

GOTO98

N99

#3006=103(UR CORRECT)

M30

%

guitar's method above is the closest that you can get to Y or N input from an operator. But, if what you are after is to make sure that certain machine functions are active, the real-time state of any machine function can be accessed via system parameters. Without waiting for the operator.

Thanks for the replies. Guitar, I'll give that a try. I'm proving out a new process on a machine that can't probe and want to "error proof" the setup. Same fixture mounts two ways on the 4th. Once the process is proven, I'll move it to the production machine, and probe the fixture for correct setup.

Thanks again!

Doesn't the operator pressing Cycle Start, in effect, signify that he said "yes" to your question? I understand what you're trying to do, and we try to mistake-proof our setups and programs as best we can, but, at some point the guy needs to do his job.

Redesign your fixture, if you can; makes more sense than this Band-Aid.

If you need to, stop the machine in a strange place ( not Z home ) to get the operator's attention, and put [5] M00s in there in a row so they don't just blow by it

C

Hi Keith,

I think what you are looking for is "M109".

I don't have a programming manual close by but this is how we use it:

N300 #501=0

M109 P501 ( PROBE? Y/N)

N310 IF [#501 EQ 0] GOTO310

IF [#501 EQ 89.] GOTO750 (Y)

IF [#501 EQ 78.] GOTO800 (N)

GOTO300

It puts it into a loop until the operator answers y or n. The 89 and 78 are the ascii values for Y and N. The comment section on the line with the M109 will be displayed on the control input line - so the operator will know why the machine has stopped.

If you search for "Haas M109" you should be able to find some more info.

Hope this helps,

Dan

• Like 2

Doesn't the operator pressing Cycle Start, in effect, signify that he said "yes" to your question?

Have you met any "operators" lately? Most I have seen will be hitting the cycle start button while looking in the window. They won't read anything before hitting cycle start unless you force them to with a loop.

Chris, sorry to say, but this problem is seeming to be all to common. I get calls all the time for people looking for someone with some kind of experience. They are getting to be less and less so we need to either train or make processes that adjust for that. Until they get trained expect to see more and more of this type of thing.

Chris, sorry to say, but this problem is seeming to be all to common. I get calls all the time for people looking for someone with some kind of experience. They are getting to be less and less so we need to either train or make processes that adjust for that. Until they get trained expect to see more and more of this type of thing.

Must just be the area of the country I'm in but I can't find anything in this around here. I'm at the point that I think I will be looking for a design job just to advance my career; I already completed the schooling.

They are getting to be less and less so we need to either train or make processes that adjust for that.

I think the idea would be better to NOT train. The fewer that know, make the wages for those that do know go up. I only train people to do what I do not want to do. 10 years ago every Tom's Harry Dick was working in a machine shop.

Doesn't the operator pressing Cycle Start, in effect, signify that he said "yes" to your question? I understand what you're trying to do, and we try to mistake-proof our setups and programs as best we can, but, at some point the guy needs to do his job.

Redesign your fixture, if you can; makes more sense than this Band-Aid.

If you need to, stop the machine in a strange place ( not Z home ) to get the operator's attention, and put [5] M00s in there in a row so they don't just blow by it

C

Chris,

I have to agree with you on most of this, but at the same time with what others have said also.

In different times having an operator at the machine that really cared and knew about what they were doing would have been the norm, but the time has come were some shops can't find or aren't willing to pay the wages of an experienced operator.

In the last few shops that I've been at, the phrase "mistake proof" (in lieu of the less workplace friendly "idiot proof") has been heavily pushed by the higher ups because they know that they'll have to deal with less experienced people on the lower ends of the pay scale.

I have to tell you, I work in a shop were we have some operators with 5-10 years experience and they still blow by the multiple M00's that I put in some of my programs.

So much so, that if I know that a particular operator will be running one of my programs, I just split it where I want them to stop so that they have to look into it further.

The looped macro is the best way to go IMO. Or a shock collar, but that's just my 2 cents.

savagkd,

I hope you find that delicate balance between operator intervention and mistake proofing your shops workflow, I know I haven't.

But then, I'm the type of person that thinks that as long as there's someone there to have to make that Y or N decision, there will be at least a 50% chance that they'll still get it wrong.

I think the idea would be better to NOT train. The fewer that know, make the wages for those that do know go up. I only train people to do what I do not want to do. 10 years ago every Tom's Harry Dick was working in a machine shop.

:o

The looped macro is the best way to go IMO. Or a shock collar, but that's just my 2 cents.

Hell yeah! shock Collar FTW!!!!

I knew I really liked you Oscar! That's definitely thinking outside the box. :D

Good luck with that.....with that mentality you are going to be doing the same thing for the rest of your life. The best way to advance is to teach someone what you already know so you will be able to further yourself.