Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Intel HD4600

Hertz

Hey guys, I got a new computer for work with Mastercam and Inventor.

Its has

i7 4770 cpu

16GB DDR3 RAM

1 TB 7200 RPM HD

but for video its an Intel HD4600 On Board.

I told IT that Mastercam's minimum specs says "No Onboard Graphics" and he's positive it will be fine. Am I missing something or is this on board video acceptable? Anyone have it and actually use Mastercam?

I've never had any success with on board graphics. Typically, IT people have idea of the requirement of CAD/CAM apps. I would push for a better video card. I've had the best success with Nvidia Quadro chipset cards.

I told IT that Mastercam's minimum specs says "No Onboard Graphics" and he's positive it will be fine. Am I missing something or is this on board video acceptable? Anyone have it and actually use Mastercam?

No, you will not be happy trying to run on-board graphics. It's gonna be a long day just working with wireframe and you really don't want to have to work with solids or surfaces with a graphics chipset. When you do upgrade to the stand alone card be aware that some of the NVidia cards have a power saver setting that will switch to the on-board graphics. There is a setting in the cards bios that allows you to set Mcam & Inventor to not switch over

I brought it up to my Supervisor and he agreed with me. he will bring it to the owner and see what happens.

Its not a budget thing cause he just bought Mill Level 3 and Lathe 1 on a Network hasp with a CNC Mill, a CNC Router, and a CNC Lathe with live tooling and a dual chuck. (I know the price cause I had the quotes)

Then spent 2K on a new desk. The computer was close to 2K as well so to me its stupid to spend that much and then NOT get a video card, I know this already. The IT guy clearly does not. Hopefully the owner overturns this. Hes gone for a week so I won't know until then.

Looks like another graphics card has been approved. I was asked though to test the onboard as I was told its the next generation of onboard graphics and apparently its much better. Meh, I will find out. In the meantime if it doesn't perform, we have an ATI Firepro V7800 workstation card sitting here not being used which I will likely use until they get a new one. Does anyone have this particular card and how is the performance of it?

http://www.amd.com/Documents/ATI-FirePro-V7800-datasheet.pdf

Looks like another graphics card has been approved. I was asked though to test the onboard as I was told its the next generation of onboard graphics and apparently its much better. Meh, I will find out. In the meantime if it doesn't perform, we have an ATI Firepro V7800 workstation card sitting here not being used which I will likely use until they get a new one. Does anyone have this particular card and how is the performance of it?

http://www.amd.com/D...0-datasheet.pdf

ATI cards and Mcam don't along so well, most folks disable their hardware acceleration.

Where you are going to notice issues with on-board graphics is running Verify and backplot or working with solids & surfaces especially if you are dynamically rotating them.

Nvidia cards and the quadro cards work great every time no crash and burns doing solids or anything else. they Just Work right out of the box NO CHEAP GRIEF with these items. Plus they play well with Mastercam Products.

You cant go wrong with a quadro card it just depends how much $$$$ you want or have to spend ?? do a time study on a big file with a small on board graphics if it does not crash then do a Quadro high end card and then time them and do the math for shop rate over 30 days or 6 months then show the owner how much he gains or looses in $$$$$ verses time wasted or saved .

• Like 1

In my book absolute minimum for MC is a Quadro 2000/2000D. My current work pc has one and it does fairly well until the files start creeping up on 100MB. These files will have a lot of solid models in them and with all the models showing the screen slows a little bit when rotating with my 3D mouse and it may take a second or to to turn levels with models on them to turn on an off. I also run dual screens which probably doesn't help, but I'm not giving one up.

I've used GeForce and ATI cards and they worked well, but at the time I only had Mill level 1 and I rarely had solid models to work with. If you must use an ATI make sure it's one of their OpenGL line of cards. Regardless of video card make sure "Disable Front Buffer" is checked in your MC config. I believe it's checked by default but I always check it when updates or new versions are installed.

Nvidia has some settings and different drivers you can mess with to try to get a little bit more out of it, but like everybody says plug 'n play. Quadros just work, tweakers need not apply.

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got the computer set up. Trying to play around to see if the video card lags or not and it seems ok for basic 3D models. Does anyone have a sample file and toolpath that would tax the video card to make sure it can handle everything? At the moment I have no file types of sort.

ATI Firepro V7800 workstation card, this card will do well as it is not the gaming card those don't work well and you have change settings . this being the high end Fire pro will do well.Put it in and fast. lol

The quadro's cards are always proven to to be the best for Cad and Cam software's but next in line are these.

• 8 months later...

I also have the Dell Precision T1700 with only the onboard graphics & I can tell you the only problem so far is the Backplot, Quick Verify is NOT working properly. It either shows all, blocking site of everything underneath & around it, or does not show it at all or shows it as it moves then erases it immediately after the tool is at the endpoint of the chain's segment. Even when it draws as stated, it doesn't draw it correctly. It does not draw to the diameter of the tool, only have of it with a straight edge. I have the latest drivers also. Already have IT dept looking for a dual monitor Quadro card.

• Like 1