Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Curve 5 axis ramp cut

Yes, it's Curve Multiaxis toolpath.

I could create a lead-in curve but the curve would be a bit of work to create and if I wanted to change the ramp angle or ramp distance, I would have to re-create new curves each time.

I was trying to avoid that extra work if possible. if that is the only way then I will make a new chook similar to PullUp.dll, except it will pull up the surface normal direction.

Ernie

I created a fence surface to define the wall of the cut, (it needs a bit of adjusting)

Then used a classic port toolpath, set the cut method spiral, used the pattern surf for TAC, set the side tilt to 90* for a swarf type cut

• Like 1

Nice trick!

Not sure why the fence surface isn't offset tangent to the top surface, looks like you did a 2D offset of the curve, that would put tool off center line on the ends.

This may work if I can fix the drive surface and get rid of the gouging at the end of the cut. I was hoping for one ramp down cut and one clean up for the floor.

Thanks a lot for the good input.

Ernie

check this here out,...

I ran your curve multiaxis tpath using tool offset, saved the toolpath as geom, used the center line of the tool as the chain for my new fence surf, set the step across distance at 0.375, the initial pass still wants to make a full run around the top of the cut but it ramps a bit more aggressively.

Could you offsets the surface and then project the chain using surface normals and then make a fence surface using both chains?

Fence surf works off one chain and creates a surface perpendicular to another surface,..

I posted a part deux,..

I used the tpath Ernie wrote to create geom the represented the center of the tool comped to the curve instead of running on center.

With that geom I created a new fence surf and it looks better than the offset curve from earlier.

Is there a beta Verisurf tools for McamX8???????????????

:thumbup:

I think a fence surface from the center line curve may work, just need to offset the fence surface by the cutter radius to get the correct drive surface to do the CJep trick.

Thanks

Ernie

I guess it all depends on what the end result needs to be. I offset the fence surface from the drive curve in the original toolpath and compared it to the fence surface created from the saved toolpath geom and there is slight difference.

The purple surf is the offset result of the surf on the left (original drive curve geom)

The rust color surf on the right is the fence surf created from the save tpath geom

I took the time to create the drive curves to ramp down the way I wanted and I can’t get Mastercam to keep the tool on the drive curve. What gives?

Here is the file with the new drive curves.

https://files.verisurf.com/public.php?service=files&t=442068b54189113eef4740a66754af4e

I want the tool tip to stay on the Cut Pattern 3D curves and only use the surface to control the tool vector direction.

for some reason the the path gets projected to the surface. I don't want it projected to the surface. how do I stop that?

Ernie