Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Head/Head 5 axis kinematic calibration

huskermcdoogle

Guys,

I am looking for a little advice on a quick and somewhat painful, but good learning experience about calibrating a 5 axis machine to get it back to an acceptable level of accuracy.  Granted we are talking a Head/Head router, and it cuts wood.  So the ball park I am looking for is <.05mm.  Right now I know I have some issues because if I back bend the B, I am about .25mm lower than if I am B positive.  I understand the geometric issue going on here, but am wondering if there is a way to use a ball bar to identify these errors in a somewhat painless manner. I have a QC20-W ball bar at my day job that I can borrow if I need.  Also, I do know most of the parameters that need to be adjusted to get some of this stuff in, but am just looking for some general guidance on the subject.

The owners of this machine have crashed this machine and their other one numerous times, have no idea what they are doing, are getting better, but don't understand calibration to save their lives.  Last time they whacked it, the b pivot distance was off by .3, which caused all sorts of issues.  Their fix was to just fix the b with a rotational shift.  They showed me the parameter they changed, don't remember off hand, but it was not grid shift, I recall it being 2nd home...  Not sure how the MTB has things set up in this cast.  This of course is all frustrating when you are trying to hold <.1 in wood, nothing is centered, or it is coming out small off the rotary table turning operation, and you have a hard time measuring that tight as there are very few square or parallel faces to measure from.

Any experiences you guys would like to share on the subject.

Husker