Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Smoothing Help update with video

Pitka_Guru

Thanks to everyone's help, including the guys at CAMTOOL in Windsor I've managed to get our Haas VF4-ss running fairly decent. Here is a video running at a feedrate of 16510mm/min. (650ipm) using X7 optirough.

Anyway, I wanted to know what you guys think of the smoothness and speed.  From what I know the Haas control doesn't tell you what the actual feedrate is just the programmed or overidden value. So for the guys used to running above 300ipm does the speed seem about right? It seems a bit slow to me but over the past few years the machines I've used top out at 200ipm so my experience is limited.

What ways would you guys rough this part out? I wanted to try a 12mm endmill with a big d.o.c but it's not something in our inventory as of yet. It's the first video I've taken and edited so laugh all you want, I know I did.

Look forward to any feedback.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jquN4UY_zw

Cheers!

Pitka

Guru Pitka: "Rajneesh, I'd like an alligator soup, and make it snappy. Because alligators are snappy, and at the same time, I want it prompt."

Thanks! The Haas settings are the defaults.  I've used G187 P1 (rough setting) to override the default smoothness (which is P2 medium)

My X7 settings are below 

post-54061-0-39282200-1408328000_thumb.jpg

post-54061-0-31367500-1408328002_thumb.jpg

post-54061-0-98494400-1408328003_thumb.jpg

And here is how I've set my advanced config. It seems like the more code I have the better and that the machine seems to stutter with small arcs, which is counter intuitive to me. 

post-54061-0-27868300-1408328386_thumb.jpg

I read your post with crazymillman about feeding your minimill really high. How are your settings compared to mine? I'm not certain these are the best it's just what I have found works so far. 

Great Video, but maybe I can get you to think a little differently. Look to a 3/4 Endmill like this tool from Helical the one shown is a 1.00 size. Keep your same rpm with a 350 ipm, but go with 200% step down and 10% Step over. I would like to see if there is a time difference between using that tool and the endmill.

• Like 2

The kinematics on the machine look pretty good. I believe there is a debug screen that will show the actual feedrate. (Parameter lock off, Alarm page, and type "debug".

I too would go towards crazy's method.    150% stepdown, 15% stepover, 20% rounding radius, as fast as machine will feed.

Take a look at my spreadsheet in the link for some ideas. Run some MRR calculations and see what method gives you what.

Ron, I wanted to try an End mill but we didn't have anything bigger than 10mm when I ran the part. It's nice to see that many of you believe the endmill method will be quicker so im on the right path. A funny thing I'm noticing with optirough is that the 1st few passes when working from the outside in are a bit jerky but then it smoothes out until it gets very close to the part shape.

Some of the moves are so quick it sounds like the machine is lifting itself off the ground so I know what you are speaking of Jay lol.

When running these feeds what types of load values should I avoid for each axis? I have had it up to the theoretical max of 833ipm but in fear of seeing the table come flying out of the machine I slowed it down. It likes to make banging noises at those feeds, not a confidence inspiring thing.

I will do some mrr calculations and see where we end up and use the debug to check actual feed. Curious to see what it's running at.

Thanks as always, this site is awesome!

I have had it up to the theoretical max of 833ipm but in fear of seeing the table come flying out of the machine I slowed it down. It likes to make banging noises at those feeds, not a confidence inspiring thing.

The "banging" that you're hearing could be associated to the acceleration clearances in your machine. If I tell the machine to make a very short move at too high of feedrate the limiters get a bit crazy. I ran into that cutting some small perforation knives .250 x .187 at 60ipm it sounded like the machine wanted to esplode itself, slowed it down to 45ipm and it was good to go.