Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Zig-Zag motion in dynamic toolpaths

Bob W.

It is my understanding that the new dynamic toolpaths have a zig-zag option to reduce time out of the cut. I am curious which tools/ materials would work great with this approach (aluminum?) and which wouldn't be such a good idea (steel?). I really have no idea where I should embrace this and where it should be avoided and I'd love some input from the experts.

It can do a "micro lift", default .010" so as not to drag the tool, and then fast travel to the start of the next cut at a user defined feed rate.  It doesn't rapid because then you'd have to worry about doglegs.  I use it in Copper and in H13 anywhere from soft to RC50 on a regular basis, and lots of people love it in Aluminum.

Check this:

https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AlMGCRpJJ9GIdG40T2NIZ1F4aS0xOHNGTGd3OTItanc&hl=en&single=true&gid=1&output=html

I use HSM Advisor to get good feed and speed numbers for it.

Wants to suck the tool out of the holder axially when conventional milling? Does high helix become an issue?

Chip clearance is the only real issue.  Select an endmill with a good primary radial relief angle and secondary clearance angle...otherwise you will end up with pretty severe built up edge.

I also agree with everyone else, ONLY USE IN ALUMINUM (or other free cutting materials).  I wouldn't mind testing it in ferrous material but I can't imagine it adding any great benefit.