Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Machine

JeremyV

The UMC-750 is actually a pretty decent 5X machine for the money. They built Dynamic Fixture Offset and TCPC output into the control, so at least you've got some modern capabilities, even though it is a Haas machine.

What kind of 5X work do you do? The vast majority of 5X work out there is still 3+2. Do you have any parts that require true 5X machining?

A lot of companies I've been talking with lately are interested in doing a "benchmark" type part on their 5X machine, and the conversation usually comes around to machining an impeller. Sure, we can help you program, verify, and run that part on your machine. But how much of this work do you actually expect to do in the future? I'd rather show someone how to machine a complex part that is actually typical of the work that shop does every day. There are still only a handful of shops around the world that make machining impellers their business. Kudos to them, someone needs to do it, but I think it is funny that "cutting an impeller" seems to be the desired focus of so many shops, when they won't be doing that work for their customers. They do make nice shiny trophies for the display case I guess.

I'm gunna go ahead and say it would be used for mostly 3 + 2 work for the time being.

• Like 1

I'm gunna go ahead and say it would be used for mostly 3 + 2 work for the time being.

For mostly 3 + 2 work, the UMC-750 is tough to beat, unless your tolerances are tighter than a Haas can normally provide. What are your main complaints about the Haas? Is the tolerances you can hold, the service (or lack thereof), or something else?

Well.... regardingthe HAAS, i don't know if they make heavy duty spindles that can easilly handle a 3.875 OTM drill like our current aging Mazak V655/60 can.  We want a machine that can stand up to heavy abuse and be fast and productive with repeatibility that won't wane over the years.

My biggest pet peevee regarding HAAS = they aren't direct drive motors, they have a belt from the motor to spindle... and they claim it's gear driven.  Very misleading advertisement IMHO.  Kinda makes me wanna puke lol =\

What is your price range? I don't think that even came up.

I can honestly say I have no clue.

I was told the plan is to get rid of our two againg Mazak machines; One is a lathe thats falling apart and the other is a Mill as i mentioned in an earlier post.  They want to get rid of 2 and replace it with one 5 axis machine.  I'm thinking 2 5 axis machines would be more ideal because i've explained this to my boss: "If you get rid of 2 machines, you are losing your flexibility to have 3 milling machines in the milling center should you not put the 5 axis machine in place of the mazak mill."

We have a Union Boring Mill just sitting there doing nothing, has been for 6+ months, possibly a year tops.  I'd say get rid of 3 machines, get 2 new machines... but thats just me.