Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Best machining practice for 2 OP trunnion jobs

Hello,

I briefly would like to point out that I use the machining terminology of my shop which may be elementary to some. I have never posted a question in a forum before. Please feel free to correct me.

At our shop we draw and or import our customers models at MC's origin adjusting for MRZP if needed and leave them there. We then program the part to totality from there using the WCS/View like anyone else. So, for example If my part is on a trunnion and requires the part to flip 180 about Y axis I simply make a WCS to cut the other side while the part stays put. This makes programming easy for me.

One issue with this method is that when I out put files from my second op to Vericut or MC machine sim the models are upside down. Its not a big issue, but a innovative having make rotated models in MC or rotating them in Vericut.

Its this method the normal or is there different way of handling this?

Screen shot of one of my projects below.

trunnions.JPG

Dumb question; is MRZP = Machine Reference Zero Position?

I typically do the same thing as you. Not always, but usually. It takes a little more work to do it this way but using this method you are able to see a complete part in Verify which is what I like.

When collision checking the 2nd OP I export my STL Models using the "Current WCS" on the "Options" pull down menu. This puts your CAD in the right orientation for what you need it for.

The other way I do it is to move it into position for the 2nd Op by transforming and rotating it so it's where it needs to be.

Both methods have their plusses and minuses. Both methods are/can be effective. Which ever is easier/faster for you is the "right" one.

Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Thanks for responding and welcoming me to the site Foghorn,  Machine Rotary Zero Position is what we call it or Center of Rotation ( COR) . I usually put MRZP on setup sheets. Yeah I also use the "Current WCS" too, but forget form time to time when I'm rushed or getting interrupted which happens everyday.

I don't have any programmers outside my company to discuses machining with. I'm not complaining though. I am one of 3 programmers here and one of them is my lead, he is very skilled and seems to be able to program anything. I have never taken a programming course or had anyone other than my lead school me on programming techniques. I know everything I need to know to make parts, I think. I would feel more confident knowing what else is out there as far as new ways of seeing parts and how to mill them. That is why I join this site.

Cool.

There's a LOT of REALLY knowledgeable guys in here with regard to 5-Axis, being a holiday weekend it'll be a little slow.

Too bad you don't have some local guys to "talk shop" with. I know I'd be lost without some of the tips I've recieved over the years.

I took 2 semesters of MC at the local JC back in the V3.1 days (DOS for the uninitiated) and a single 5-Axis class in the mid-90's. That and what guys have passed on to me is what my education consisted of. School of a Hard Knocks as they say. You can learn a lot beating your head against the wall with the right attitude. :D