Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Did you know Mastercam has "hidden" 5-axis toolpaths?

Colin Gilchrist

Well this brings around a new topic. The last version of Mastercam with  a  bible attached (Mastercam Reference Guide)is what ?. Yes I am talking about that 831 paged thing last seen in X5. That is where you would think to find info like this.  But it seems we do not need one anymore , otherwise we'd have one. A teacher from a local college (newbie) asked how can he learn to use Mcam. I directed him towards the X5 doc .

it's like sex, you have to learn it on the streets :))). Right now learning Mcam requires one to look in Youtube, Googling, etc. You'll find a tidbit here, tidbit there. 

Gracjan

Are there any hidden toolpaths in the level 3 seats with 'no' multiaxis paths?

If not, can you change the title of this thread so us common folk don't feel so

disappointed?.... LOLOLOL

;)

Hi Rick,

Please change the title if you wish. I'm no longer a moderator, so I don't see the option to edit the thread title...

Nice work Collin. It pays to get out of the box. :unworthy: A person gets so used to keeping their nose to the grind stone that we sometimes forget to lookup and see what's going on around us. I agree with Gracjan aka Pullo about the reference guide. Though I don't think it is necessary on every update, I do think when you get a major release like X8, that it becomes almost a mandatory item just to keep up with the new or "old" technology that has found it's way into our toolboxes. What a great find. I can't wait to use this.

I've been using the Moduleworks / Triangular mesh tool paths in another Cam package for some time now. They do a very good job. The constant Z tool path, which is basically a Waterline, contour style machining, is far superior to what I've used in other packages. It will spiral with no linking moves. More lead in and out options and a host of other goodies as well. The real bonus is that once you learn these in 3 axis, the leap to 5 axis isn't as bad.

So you can easily take say 75% of the stepover value for climb milling, then take 25% of the stepover value for conventional. This allows the cutter to stay fully engaged during the roughing cut, and allows for even higher metal removal rates than a regular "Dynamic" or "Opti" style roughing path.

Sweeeeet! How good is this :D

Thanks as always Colin

:cheers:

Howdy MCM - good to see you're still alive and well :D

:cheers:

I tried the adaptive roughing  this afternoon  and got a real sweet toolpath

The posted file was all point to point though, 500K worth of code and no way to filter it that I can find.

That's not an issue for the machine I'm going to run it on as I have a 2 gig data server, but

it would be a deal breaker for a lot of the older machines in the shop.

Hey Newb.  I'm still kickin. I still read the forum frequently.  More often than not, just for chuckles.  Although I'm using a different Cam package at work, the ModuleWorks tool paths are almost Identical to those used in MC so I can still participate here. And like G said above,  it;s difficult to get good clean arcs. These tool paths like a tight tolerance as well. Set them tool loose, and they get jagged quickly.  Constant Z , Projection, and morph between surfaces are my favorite  tool paths now. I'll upload some screen shots if I can remember how. Have you heard from Ninja?

I found some good examples. The part is a Spline punch. The PROJECTION STYLE AROUND pic has the tool path rolling around the exterior in a pure spiral fashion. Smooth as silk and great for roughing and finishing. Watching this run on a 5 axis Mikron is pretty cool. The PROJECTION STYLE ALONG is how I finish the part. Very similar to SF Parallel or Raster except it doesn't fall off the edge as quickly as the tool stays normal to the CL of rotary, rolling the 4th axis as it moves around the part. Both styles are options within the Projection tool path. Best option yet  is tipping the 5th axis 10. degrees so the tip of the ball isn't doing the cutting. I wish I had discovered these tool paths while I was still working with MC. ModuleWorks is awesome.

post-18319-0-37013300-1411082188_thumb.jpg

post-18319-0-37147500-1411082211_thumb.jpg

post-18319-0-61772400-1411083166_thumb.jpg