Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

roland_1

Lathe is waaay more advanced that mill. Always has been. LIVE stock updating, IF stock is defined.  Intelligent retracts and clearance moves based on remaining stock, IF stock is defined. Perfect stock flip IF stock is defined. No need to ever change coordinate, IF stock is defined, and WCS T/C plane is left at top, and part is located correctly.

Just use it how it's designed at it works great.

I wish I replied first to this thread and saved everyone else the hassle.

Lathe training www.streamingteacher.com. Also Mill/Turn main/sub and everything else you want to do with lathe.

• Like 3

answer that I found is that you can't change it from Coordinates button. I doesn't update if you change it from some reason. 

so what I found that work is to copy or import similar Operation that you want to use and select Group name and select Change common parameters. from there you select desired WCS and it will update. then you need to adjust Operation a little bit. and then you are good. still faster then to make new one. 

Well that is not behavior I am seeing that is how I always do it. I have left spindle and right spindle stuff going on in some files and have different WCS for each with no problems. Again if you would share a file then someone can see if there is something else going on.

I will offer up this again un-wanted answer. Check for XYZ layout and make sure it is correct. Lathe does handle things a lot different than Mill so be cautions of that.

• 3 months later...

I know this post has been cold since September but we had a situation in Mastercam Lathe where an already programmed part had to switch to a different lathe for Op2 which was not originally planned.  We created a second machine group in the same file but the stock flip would not work properly so we had to reprogram the second op using a different WCS.  Is there a way to push the stock flip op from one machine group to another? We then tried to copy the paths down to the new group but could not get them to switch wcs or tool plane.  Is there a setting or something we were doing wrong?  Any help would be appreciated.  

ps. We did not create two files due to configuration control at our company.

I know this post has been cold since September but we had a situation in Mastercam Lathe where an already programmed part had to switch to a different lathe for Op2 which was not originally planned.  We created a second machine group in the same file but the stock flip would not work properly so we had to reprogram the second op using a different WCS.  Is there a way to push the stock flip op from one machine group to another? We then tried to copy the paths down to the new group but could not get them to switch wcs or tool plane.  Is there a setting or something we were doing wrong?  Any help would be appreciated.  

ps. We did not create two files due to configuration control at our company.

Short answer is no. That would be locked to one machine group. You could make a complete copy of everything and ghost out the 1st operation stuff to enable the stock flip like you want for the different machine group, but the way stock flip is deigned it needs operations to feed it. You take the stock flip and move it you need to move the supporting operations before it.

HTH(Hope that Helps)

BTW Welcome ot the forum.

Thanks, I'm glad that I finally joined emastercam.  There is a huge amount of info here. 

About my lathe question,  thanks for the help, I didn't think to push the entire program to the new machine group and ghost the excess but that is a good idea.  This is my 4th week using MC lathe so I'm green in that department.

Is there a way to import a stock model into Lathe? ( .stl , .stp/.step, or .x_t)

Thanks, I'm glad that I finally joined emastercam.  There is a huge amount of info here. 

About my lathe question,  thanks for the help, I didn't think to push the entire program to the new machine group and ghost the excess but that is a good idea.  This is my 4th week using MC lathe so I'm green in that department.

Is there a way to import a stock model into Lathe? ( .stl , .stp/.step, or .x_t)

Yes when you create the stock model you have the option to pick a solid. That solid would need to be on a level to do so. You can pick an STL file and use it from the stock model process. I have to say I have never used Stock Model with Lathe yet so how well it works I cannot say. I for the most part in the last 5 years have made parts from Raw Stock not Castings or Hogouts though I have done that before just not recently.

Using lathe with no stock model? The OP has no right programming. How reckless...

It takes 2.5 seconds to set up stock and makes life so much easier.    It also gives the best roughing passes because Mastercam knows where to cut and where not to.   Pointless not to use it.    I guess we just have no imagination.  :laughing: