Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Benchmark 2.0

BenK

Re-ran the test this morning and the time came in at 4:07. Regenerated again and it came in at 3:20. Isn't there some sort of log file that needs to be deleted or else future regenerations produce skewed results?

Yes. I believe just closing Mastercam will accomplish this though.

• Haha 1

Did you run it through X7 or X8?

X7

Dirty All operations / Than Switch all Back to 0.0001

Computer 1.
Dell T7600
XEON E5-2630 @ 2.3 GHZ
32 RAM
Nvidia Quadro 4000

benchmark time 5min 19.14 sec

Computer 2.
Dell T7400
XEON X5482 @ 3.20 GHZ
32 Ram
Nvida Quadro fx 4600

benchmark time 5min 43.248 sec

• 3 months later...

Dell M6800

Intel® Core i7-4930MX CPU @ 3.0GHz

32GB RAM

Win7x64

NVidia Quadro K5100M 8GB Video Card

Toshiba 256GB SSD

2min 21.938 Sec.

Running Mastercam Vaporware :yes:

:edited: - Grabbed old Benchmark file.

Which came in at a shade over a minute.

post-46432-0-15590300-1422673167_thumb.jpg

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

Dell M6800

32GB RAM

Win7x64

Toshiba 256GB SSD

2min 21.938 Sec.

I think you must add every thing in th event log to get the real time.

Jeff

I go off the "Completed Multi-Threaded Regeneration of Selected Operations" number. The last number. It's supposed to add everything up. Besides, If we ALL go off that number then we're all making an accurate comparison regardless if that is the "real" number or not, they are all different based on our rigs' performance (or lack thereof). :yes:

It's way better than it used to be. We used to have to use a stop watch so we'd be +/- a sec. or so...

My biggest gripe is the verifying speed. Appears that video card doesn't have much to do with that. I spend between 2 and 3 hrs on verification alone. We just hired a new programmer and he used boxx computers previously. According to him, they made huge difference. Looking to get the management to go for one.

They do seem overpriced though. I priced out similar dell and it came in considerably less expensive.

I'd love to see more comments on verification speeds.

Separate thread?

• Like 1

Dell M6800

32GB RAM

Win7x64

Toshiba 256GB SSD

2min 21.938 Sec.

James,  have a closer look at your event log.  You hit regen at 18:51:14 and the process completed at 18:55:13 for a time of 3:59, at least that is how I have been calculating the times.  I believe the time you posted is for operation three alone, not the entire process.  I have a few questions.  What is vaporware?  Also, you seem to be pretty computer saavy, do you know anything about overclocking or where I could look into it?  We are running i7 5960 processors here (eight core @ 3.9GHz currently).  I re-ran the benchmark and came in at 4:25 so a fair bit slower than your system.  Before switching my graphics card setting to 'graphics only' I was at 5:00 so the graphics card appears to play a huge part in the performance of the benchmark results.  I am running a Quadro 4200.  When I ran the tests before (previously posted results) I was overclocked, but in a different configuration (ram was running faster).  The 5960 processor can be overclocked a ton but one has to know what they are doing.  Where do I find this stuff out?  There has to be a deliberate process that yields good results.

I have a fair amount invested in these computers and I want to get every ounce of performance out of them that I can.

@Bob, I always call whatever Beta Software I'm testing "vapor ware" :yes: as of this moment, it's X9. :D

I'll look at the numbers again. Didn't seem like 3min at all.

Not a fan of over clocking laptops. I know people that do it safely, but I need my rig to last a solid 3 years, hence the reason I usually buy the 2nd fastest chip available at the time of new system spec. Yeah we pay a bit for it but she love me long time! :yes:

5:45.879  using Ben's nifty time addition link. This is with the same computer I've had for a few years. It was in the low 40s on the old benchmark.  It's an $800 Costco ZT Systems tower with a 128GB Samsung SSD, Windows 7 Pro, X8, a Quadro 4000, and nothing installed on it but SW and Mastercam.  I've had a lot of computers over the years, and nothing has ever jumped out at me as a huge improvement the way the SSD did.

I want to get a new computer with a pair of SSDs in RAID1, but it seems like all the computer people I talk with think redundancy is dumb, and that it's way more fun to xxxx around with the computer for an entire day downloading updates, drivers, re-installing everything, etc after a crash - instead of spending an extra $250 on a redundant hard drive.

BENCH_zpsf7963924.jpg

edit to add: When I changed from the Quadro FX570, to the Quadro 4000 a year ago, it made *no* noticeable difference in any way.

• Like 1