Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Thin wall aluminum--chatter

I have a square box about 1.2 deep with .050" thick walls.

I've been using 1/2" dia 3 flute "osg blizzard" style endmills but they like to chatter on the finish pass especially when brand new.

These 3 fluters have a 45 degree helix, would a 2 flute with a 30 degree helix be a better choice to eliminate the chatter?

I've played around with amount of stock to leave for finish pass, right now it's at .010"

edit: 

it's 6061 T6 aluminum... .can't change material.

Personally I have had a lot of luck in reducing chatter by going to a 2 flute as you suggested in your post, also it probably wouldn't hurt to go down to .005 for finish.

Switching to a 3/8 with enough flute length might help some too since it will create less tool pressure.

One thing to keep in mind is you want to make sure that the roughing pass isn't leaving a lot of chatter either, if the existing finish has a lot of chatter in it, it can induce chatter in the finish tool.

On particularly problematic chatter in the past I have even gone so far as to use three passes taking off .005 each pass to get to finish to keep from pushing the material and to keep chatter down.

Rough 0.200" deep then finish pass all the way to the floor. A 30°/35° end mill is a plus.

This would make the cycle time too long, we do thousands of these parts a year.

I will tell the boss to get the slower helix endmills to try out, thanks!

Personally I have had a lot of luck in reducing chatter by going to a 2 flute as you suggested in your post, also it probably wouldn't hurt to go down to .005 for finish.

Switching to a 3/8 with enough flute length might help some too since it will create less tool pressure.

One thing to keep in mind is you want to make sure that the roughing pass isn't leaving a lot of chatter either, if the existing finish has a lot of chatter in it, it can induce chatter in the finish tool.

On particularly problematic chatter in the past I have even gone so far as to use three passes taking off .005 each pass to get to finish to keep from pushing the material and to keep chatter down.

This is what I've tried as of today and it seems to be working, but only on endmills that are not brand new. 

New ones are too sharp and chatter like crazy. :(

Might try using a Slower RPM or a Higher Feed Rate. Those are the 2 things working against you in any chatter prone applications. Sometimes running the part with a slower RPM seems crazy, but making the best quality part possible is also just as important as how fast you make it. I told someone speeding up some bad looking parts not to long along. All you accomplished was making a terd faster.

I am all about getting it done fast, but sometimes need to think outside the box. I would go up to a 5 to 6 flute endmill for finishing. The bigger core on the endmill will also help eliminate chatter and make up for the slower rpm if you need to use it. Since it is a finish pass should not have to worry about loading up the endmill with chips.

• Like 1

I've always stagger stepped think wall parts. Depth pass 1, Rough and finish Outside/Inside, Rough and finish Inside/Outside, rinse and repeat. I had better luck with 3 and 5 flutes than 2. How I determine which goes first is what needs the better surface finish.

This is what I've tried as of today and it seems to be working, but only on endmills that are not brand new. 

New ones are too sharp and chatter like crazy. :(

Have you ever tried an endmill from Ultra Tool? They are very nice endmills, and you can get them with a pre-honed edge so they are already "broken in." Look 'em up. 

• Like 1

You have to 2 op this part anyways right? Redo your process. Do the back side first / profile the outside. Flip it over, hold it 1.150 dp pocket (i.e. walls supported) in soft jaws and then do the inside pocket.

I can't do it this way, there are feet and a step at the bottom that prevent a good holding, and the aggressive cutting we do would rip the part out of the jaws even if they were 1.15 deep.

This is how we first tried processing the job and it wasn't pretty.  ;)

I can't do it this way, there are feet and a step at the bottom that prevent a good holding, and the aggressive cutting we do would rip the part out of the jaws even if they were 1.15 deep.

This is how we first tried processing the job and it wasn't pretty.   ;)

Okay so then you are stuck with rough / finish levels.

30-35* helix / 4 flute tool for aluminum will help as well. 

If it was me I would just finish the walls as I went down or ramp them with a 3/8 35* helix endmill.

• Like 1

It's 1-1/2 thick material, holding onto .100" in soft jaws.

It's basically a rectangular part inside and out with a .05 wall. the floor is also .05 thick

How does holding it .100 deep in soft jaws work but holding it 1.150 deep not work? Show a picture of the part?

Face and machine the perimeter of the part minus the "inside" section from the bottom side as a first process. For the second process,flip the part gripping as deep as possible on the two flat sides and pocket out the inside at normal speeds/feeds, then machine the two sides at the reduced speeds/feeds needed for a good finish.

• 2 weeks later...