Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3D Milling Problem

EBShopteach

HI,

I am brand new to this forum. I am also brand new to using solidworks and mastercam AND CNC machines. I just posted this same problem in the educational forum but was told this forum has more traffic so here I am.

I bought some training books for mastercam X7 2D and 3D milling. The 2D milling worked fine and I was able to draw and mill all the parts in the sample lessons. I just finished drawing my first 3D mill lesson and have run the simulated backplot which works fine. I have zeroed out my mill so it knows where the work piece is. However when I run the program it jogs the spindle about 1 inch above the work piece and starts cutting. So its cutting nothing but air. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I zeroed out my CNC the same way I did with the other programs. Do I have somthing wrong set in the surface parameters? 

My machine is an apprentice 404 from industrial CNC and I'm using the Mach 3 software.

I also have attached the zipped solidworks file that has the tool path all laid out.

Thank you

Mark

Mill-Lesson-9.zip

I downloaded the file but didn't realize it was mastercam for solidworks so I cant open it.. so .. dumb question .. is it possible you touched off a 1 inch block and didn't account for the block.. (without being able to open the file that's all I can think of..)

So I have zeroed out the Z at the bottom of the workpiece. The G code is setting the Z at 1.12. No matter what I change the G code never changes. The X and Y axis line every time. I used the view manager to put the origin on the bottom of the piece and i changed the Z setting to zero in the bounding box in stock settings. That didn't help. Where else can I change the settings? 

Also when I run the simulation I notice now that the Z is set to 1.0 and the X and Y are set to 0 

Bear with me as this is my first time with solidworks and mastercam.

Thanks

I took a look at the file and it was created with an Educational version of SW - that's what's causing that message to come up.
The Mastercam data in it was then generated by an Educational (or Demo-HLE) seat of Mastercam.

Note that standalone Mastercam can bring in the toolpath data saved inside a SolidWorks .SLDPRT or .SLDASM file by Mastercam for SolidWorks - but the usual restrictions on opening Educational data in Industrial MC, and vice versa, do hold.

I took a look at the file and it was created with an Educational version of SW - that's what's causing that message to come up.

The Mastercam data in it was then generated by an Educational (or Demo-HLE) seat of Mastercam.

Note that standalone Mastercam can bring in the toolpath data saved inside a SolidWorks .SLDPRT or .SLDASM file by Mastercam for SolidWorks - but the usual restrictions on opening Educational data in Industrial MC, and vice versa, do hold.

When I open the file I see no tool paths in the file ....  Just the solid ....is this due to the restrictions ?? or am I just missing a toggle somewhere?

Hi all,

Yes this is an educational version. So I assume most of you guys don't run educational versions. Which stinks for me  :thumbdown:

G Zero...I tried zeroing out my machine to the bottom of the piece and that works! I thought about doing that before but I just wanted to figure it out. 

My question now is why would I have to zero out at the bottom of the piece for 3D milling but it lets me zero the top for 2D milling.

Thanks everyone for all the help!!

Mark

I actually have both key types ...  I teach part time at a trade school & program full time at a shop. 

You have to set your machine at the same 0,0 point that you programmed the part from in mastercam. You got a way with it with the 2d tool paths because the geometry only controls the x,y location of the tool path not the depth (to a point). In the 3d tool paths the surface / solid controls x,y, and z

Get in the habit of setting the part origin in mastercam to where you want to set it at the machine.

Cam instructor teaches you how to use mastercam not necessarily how to write good code.  

Ok great! The file works now just as long as I zero Z at the bottom of the piece.

New question. I have been setting my spindle speed and feed rates according to my training manuals, however they think I'm using aluminum which I'm not. I'm using wood. What are some recommended speeds and rates? So far the parts take an extremely long time to mill.

Thanks! 

Ok great! The file works now just as long as I zero Z at the bottom of the piece.

New question. I have been setting my spindle speed and feed rates according to my training manuals, however they think I'm using aluminum which I'm not. I'm using wood. What are some recommended speeds and rates? So far the parts take an extremely long time to mill.

Thanks! 

Fast as the spindle goes and fast and the machine will feed.

HTH

• Like 1