Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

facemill problems

Chrisselfstarter

hello I am using a  Ingersoll face mills  2 - 3- and 4 inch the problem I am  having is the corners are wearing out rapidly I am mainly cutting stainless steels  I cant find a reference to guide me for speeds  feeds  or depth of cut

the ones I do see suggest that my FPT to  be .010- 0.012 that seems to me to be really aggressive but maybe I am  not being aggressive enough and that's what causing the problem

any help would be greatly appreciated

The ingersoll catalog contains all the information for the inserts you're using. Speeds, feeds, DOC.

Are you using coolant? Whats your DOC? Are they 45 lead angle inserts? Are you rolling into your cut? Is it interrupted? Going to need a lot more information.

Cathedral is correct.  More information is needed.  I've programmed a lot of stainless and had varying results with different facemills.  A general rule is: If your insert corners are wearing out, (Rubbing on the corners) your RPM's are to high.  If the corners are broken off or fractured, your RPM's are too low.  We used ZCC feedmills for roughing and Sandvik facemills for finishing.  Some types of stainless worked great with this combo and some not so good. 

Are you running them dry if they call for it?

Lesson I had to learn years ago cutting some 440 SS. Was using 10 1/2 endmills to make these paddle housings for the paper industry. It was only costing back 15 years ago $20 for a carbide 1/2 4 flute endmill with 1" L.O.C. I was making decent time on the parts at about 3 hours per part. Tool representative I knew came in and said I needed ot try this new 3/4 endmill on the material and run it dry. I laughed at him and thought he was insane. The tool was between $70 to $100 and I was seeing that as to much to pay for a tool. He told me to use their recommended speeds and feed and run it dry with a air blast to blow away the chips. If it did not work we did not have to pay for the tool. I think it allowed me to do 3 parts and cut my run time in half. Tool turned out to be cheaper than the process I was using before with 10 endmills and run time improved because I was not always changing out tools to complete the job. Thermal shock to Carbide is one of the biggest issues people do not consider when running coolant.

HTH

• Like 1

Are you running them dry if they call for it?

Lesson I had to learn years ago cutting some 440 SS. Was using 10 1/2 endmills to make these paddle housings for the paper industry. It was only costing back 15 years ago $20 for a carbide 1/2 4 flute endmill with 1" L.O.C. I was making decent time on the parts at about 3 hours per part. Tool representative I knew came in and said I needed ot try this new 3/4 endmill on the material and run it dry. I laughed at him and thought he was insane. The tool was between $70 to $100 and I was seeing that as to much to pay for a tool. He told me to use their recommended speeds and feed and run it dry with a air blast to blow away the chips. If it did not work we did not have to pay for the tool. I think it allowed me to do 3 parts and cut my run time in half. Tool turned out to be cheaper than the process I was using before with 10 endmills and run time improved because I was not always changing out tools to complete the job. Thermal shock to Carbide is one of the biggest issues people do not consider when running coolant.

HTH

+1 to air blast and dry cutting! We were running a 1/2 dataflute in steel and found airblast is the best tool life, 2nd best tool life was nothing at all, and last was flood coolant. Sometimes coolant is your enemy.

Speaking of ingersol check out these videos I posted on my FB page.

http://www.sciencedump.com/content/anything-metal-you-own-made-through-badassery

Those videos are very cool! Badassery at it's finest!

One tool which was omitted was a feedmill. I'd be interested to closely watch the chip formation

of an Mits AJX style cutter.

Does Ingersol make such a tool?