Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X7 Surface High Speed Toolpath issues

cdiable

I am new to the surface machining and not sure if i have this part setup right or if i am doing the type of operation.

I have attached Pictures of my Mastercam file showing all of the settings along with the result of the actual machining.

I have also attached parasolids of the part after the roughing operations (just linear toolpaths, worked great) and after the final machining. The starting stock size is a 3/8" thick plate 6 1/2" x 10 1/2".

The actual mastercam file is too large for me to add it to the post.

Any help in figuring out how to prevent the goughes would be greatly apprecated.

If anyone needs more information please let me know.

Mastercam & Pics.pdf

Part.zip

I'm processing you tool path with a smaller Keep tool down percentage.  I have had problems in the past just leaving this as is.  When I finish a tool path that I'm not sure of, I will look for moves that "skim" the surface.  Even if the toolpath shows it sitting right on top of the part, you can still get gouges.

I had 1.0" set for "Keep too down within" and I still got the loops going over the top of the part.  I am going to try a waterline toolpath and see what happens

I'm processing you tool path with a smaller Keep tool down percentage.  I have had problems in the past just leaving this as is.  When I finish a tool path that I'm not sure of, I will look for moves that "skim" the surface.  Even if the toolpath shows it sitting right on top of the part, you can still get gouges.

I had 1.0" set for "Keep too down within" and I still got the loops going over the top of the part.  I am going to try a waterline toolpath and see what happens

1.0 is still way too much for the distance between surfaces, what the toolpath does is keep the tool down to the surface whether its a check surface or not that's where the loops are coming from.

Putting any large value for keep tool down is a band aid solution for a path that

needs Maintenance.

Use Minimum distance and a 500 feed rate. it wont connect the path lines as you would like

but at least this uses feed moves instead of a more inefficient vertical retracts.

this keeps the path off the part (default .148") OR WHAT EVER YOU MAY LIKE IT TO DO

I am not a big fan of the Hybrid tool path.  I switched to a Waterline and left "Keep tool down" at 1.0" and didn't have any loops over the surface.  I didn't use check surfaces either I just selected everything as "Drive" and it worked great.  I also used minimum vertical retract and set my federate to 300.