Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

New Dynamic Milling

Hertz

Hi guys, I am trying to do some dynamic milling and I am aware how X8 has integrated the toolpaths into one but what I'm trying to do is basically a pocket with an island. I need to cut around the island but stay insode the outer diameter of the pocket. I chain the outside diameter as machining region, then I select the island as the avoidance region and select to stay inside. I get an error "A chain overlaps itself."

I then tried to just pick the outside and the island as the machining region leaving stay inside selected, same error. Tried selecting "from outside" instead but still the same error. What am I doing wrong? There are only 2 chains in total, one for the outer wall of the pocket and one for the outer wall of the island.

I got that error message for the first time yesterday. As usual, it was followed by me saying, "What? What the fork does that even mean?"

I would be ok with it if the error messages said, "Hey, dumbass, you're on the wrong plane, shape up or ship out!"

Yeah that would be great but....How is Mastercam supposed to know your plane is wrong? Maybe the plane is right and the geometry is wrong?

Yeah that would be great but....How is Mastercam supposed to know your plane is wrong? Maybe the plane is right and the geometry is wrong?

mind....blown!

Most of the time i get no warnings at all.

There is probably an option somewhere deep in the guts of settings to show errors. So far have not found one.

Also when i bring tools from the library MC ignores coolant setting that i have saved with the tool. Anyone knows how to fix that?

I get that same thing Zero. Always have to turn it on regardless. Also another annoying thing is if you copy a toolpath, then change the tool of the new path, it keeps the same speed/feed as the previous tool, even though its set in your tool parameters. Still a few issues that are around but easy work arounds. I'm just tired of "work arounds" all the time is all.

Also another annoying thing is if you copy a toolpath, then change the tool of the new path, it keeps the same speed/feed as the previous tool, even though its set in your tool parameters. Still a few issues that are around but easy work arounds. I'm just tired of "work arounds" all the time is all.

When doing that, I got into the habit of right clicking the new tool and clicking "Re-initialize speeds and feeds".

This updates the S&F to match the new tool.

HTH

• Like 2

When doing that, I got into the habit of right clicking the new tool and clicking "Re-initialize speeds and feeds".

This updates the S&F to match the new tool.

HTH

While this changes your speeds/feeds to the tool settings, it still doesn't change when you select a different tool. Example you have a spotdrill of 2500 rpm and 25 ipm. Bring in your 1/8 drill by copying toolpath. 1/8 drill speed/feed is 6000rpm and 15 ipm. Re-initialize the 1/8 drill and alls good. Except now if you click the spotdrill again, its speed/feed is the same as the 1/8 drill. Around and around we go again. This of course is not a big issue for small amount of tools, but if you have a lot of tools on the job and you are selecting others "for whatever reason", they should automatically be updating on the fly to the tool settings. Its been like that for as long as I can remember. That's my opinion anyway. 

The thought is that if you modify a speed and feed in the toolpath dialog box and later update that tools' speed and feed that you would not want to have your toolpath's parameters changed as well.  Otherwise you might have to go back through your whole program and redo the speeds and feeds for those toolpaths.  Of course this does not work for everyone hence the available checkbox.

Very nice. Thanks so much for that. What are the reasons or benefits for having this "on" by default?

If you do successive ops with a tool and change the S&F from what you have them set to as default, they will lock on to what you had programmed them to last.

If that lock is off, then you would have to change them every time.... if you wanted to tweak them from default values.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. Pick your poison. lol

• Like 1