Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Viewport poll

JAMMAN

Viewports... did you use thm?  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Did you use the viewport function prior to X8?

• Yes
    • No

Once you enable viewsheets look in the lower left of the graphics background. You should see "main viewsheet" right click and select new viewsheet. Reposition your part change the visible information in the levels manager, then right click on the new viewsheet and save it.   

For fear of making myself a (bigger :D) arse, I asked on 'the other forum' why they had been removed.

So looking at it this morning, I was thinking viewsheets had been removed - DOH!

I'd never used viewport or knew anything about it, so I won't miss them.

But viewsheets - if you do rotary work they're a must. If you never have tried them, you won't regret spending a bit of time getting 'into' them.

:cheers:

For fear of making myself a (bigger :D) arse, I asked on 'the other forum' why they had been removed.

So looking at it this morning, I was thinking viewsheets had been removed - DOH!

I'd never used viewport or knew anything about it, so I won't miss them.

But viewsheets - if you do rotary work they're a must. If you never have tried them, you won't regret spending a bit of time getting 'into' them.

:cheers:

I use them viewsheets all the time. I wouldn't be too surprised if those got axed at some point too. They aren't in the Mastercam for Solidworks version "because they are for design and there is no need for that in the solidworks environment" :laughing:

:thumbdown:

I use them viewsheets all the time. I wouldn't be too surprised if those got axed at some point too. They aren't in the Mastercam for Solidworks version "because they are for design and there is no need for that in the solidworks environment" :laughing:

:thumbdown:

This is true.. SolidWorks configurations are Viewsheets on a super dose of steroids. 

• Like 1
  • 8 years later...

Viewports have been gone for nearly a decade.

I asked why it was removed and was told that according to the Customer Feedback Program

only one user in the entire Mastercam userbase actually used it on a regular basis. 

The Customer Feedback Program provides CNC with a lot of the data they use when

developing future versions.

That's why it's a good idea to check the box when you install Mastercam

or go to

File/Community/Customer Feedback Program and check the Join box

Mastercam Customer Feedback

2 hours ago, gcode said:

Viewports have been gone for nearly a decade.

I asked why it was removed and was told that according to the Customer Feedback Program

only one user in the entire Mastercam userbase actually used it on a regular basis. 

The Customer Feedback Program provides CNC with a lot of the data they use when

developing future versions.

That's why it's a good idea to check the box when you install Mastercam

or go to

File/Community/Customer Feedback Program and check the Join box

Mastercam Customer Feedback

I don't think it was only one, but there wasn't very many.

If memory serves, it was going to be a massive project to get it usable with all the graphics improvements that were on the roadmap, like a complete re-write, so it got the axe. 

But yes, 100% agree that it's important to allow the Customer Feedback program, as all of the product management team looked at that data to help figure out how to prioritize resources.

1 hour ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

I don't think it was only one, but there wasn't very many.

If memory serves, it was going to be a massive project to get it usable with all the graphics improvements that were on the roadmap, like a complete re-write, so it got the axe. 

But yes, 100% agree that it's important to allow the Customer Feedback program, as all of the product management team looked at that data to help figure out how to prioritize resources.

Drawing to multiple viewports is actually quite easy, you just need to create two Device Contexts (HDC) with the correct PixelFormatDescriptor for the correct opengl version, then call the drawing code for each viewport before swapBuffers for each window,

I have an example in c# on my github of rendering to two separate viewports in modern opengl

xx4g/csframework: framework for .net (github.com)

4 hours ago, byte said:

Drawing to multiple viewports is actually quite easy, you just need to create two Device Contexts (HDC) with the correct PixelFormatDescriptor for the correct opengl version, then call the drawing code for each viewport before swapBuffers for each window,

I have an example in c# on my github of rendering to two separate viewports in modern opengl

xx4g/csframework: framework for .net (github.com)

Cool.  I'll get in my time machine and flag down someone to let them know.   :)

14 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

It's probably a better idea to compliment @byte on his effort and ingenuity than to be a smart@ss. 

Thanks for sharing, byte! 👍  There's no telling how many old users who didn't participate in the feedback program, or new users from the past decade that might find this useful.

15 hours ago, Aaron Eberhard said:

I wish I could go in a time machine back to the nineties too

1 hour ago, Thad said:

Thanks for sharing, byte! 👍  There's no telling how many old users who didn't participate in the feedback program, or new users from the past decade that might find this useful.

Your welcome, always nice to hear anyone finds my work interesting, I do learning projects and tutorials that I share from time to time, you can follow me on github if you don't already, I'm working on some new stuff that is very advanced

• Like 3