Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

PROFILING TOOL HELP

Greg_J

Hey Guys,

I'm looking to find a 1.0/.032 diameter indexable cutting tool to replace my standard 1.0/.032 APKT insert style cutter.

The application is typically straight wall finishing or angled walls some 3D work, I want to keep the same tool geometry so I can just swap out the old tool and use the new tool and just change speeds and feeds.

What tools are you guys using? Model number, maybe a link plz. :)

Thx.

Greg

Maybe I didn't ask my question correctly.

I use this tool typically.

mrQugYYVqV38OxNYtnjC5Lg.jpg

I used this tool the other day and got way better results.

sq6_group.jpg

I was just wondering if anyone had any specific tools that they use that really improved production.

Unfortunately in these parts salesmen take up a lot of time and tend to sell what ever they can not what's best of the customer.

Maybe I didn't ask my question correctly.

I use this tool typically.

mrQugYYVqV38OxNYtnjC5Lg.jpg

I used this tool the other day and got way better results.

sq6_group.jpg

I was just wondering if anyone had any specific tools that they use that really improved production.

Unfortunately in these parts salesmen take up a lot of time and tend to sell what ever they can not what's best of the customer.

Well yes that is a totally different question. Like Ben said you are on the right path and to key to learning anything is being willing to step out and see what is out there. I have used many different tools in many different applications and since you really did not state a Material, Machine, Holder or other things hard to say which one will be best for your situation. I am not comfortable saying what is without some more specifics.

#1 What kind of Material are you cutting?

#2 What taper machine are you cutting it on?

#3 What configuration machine is it? HMC,VMC, Mill/Turn, 5 Axis

#4 Does the machine have thru the spindle coolant? 500 psi,1000 psi, 2000 psi

#5 What is your normal inserted tool provider?

#6 How deep does it need to cut? 2X,3X,5X,7X,10X, 15X, 20X, 25X, 30X?

#7 Does it need to have defib abilities because it will be sticking out more than standard 5X?

#8 Does it need a reduced shank?

#9 Does it need to be balanced past a certain RPM?

#1 What kind of Material are you cutting?       4140 family of materials, hardness ranging from 18-28 HRC

#2 What taper machine are you cutting it on?      CAT50

#3 What configuration machine is it? HMC,VMC, Mill/Turn, 5 Axis      4 Axis VMC

#4 Does the machine have thru the spindle coolant? 500 psi,1000 psi, 2000 psi      YES 400 PSI

#5 What is your normal inserted tool provider?     Kennametal, Ingersoll and Seco

#6 How deep does it need to cut? 2X,3X,5X,7X,10X, 15X, 20X, 25X, 30X?      2X and 3X

#7 Does it need to have defib abilities because it will be sticking out more than standard 5X?     No

#8 Does it need a reduced shank?      No

#9 Does it need to be balanced past a certain RPM?     No, Max RPM 6000.

Thanks Ron.

This tool was a good one but only for profiling it's a Ingersoll Backdraft, does anyone use tools like this.

am0711ingersollrivercitypromo.jpg

GregJ, I couldn't tell you an exact tool for the same reasons/questions Ron asked about application. But I would push to have your tool reps allow for you to test any tool before purchase as ours do. If they work as advertised or better than what we are currently using we buy them, if not they leave a week later with the salesman. Its a win win situation on your part only buying what works.