Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Learning the nuts and bolts of Fanuc

Bob W.

I am doing a little research on the Fanuc controller, primarily I/O and how external applications (cell controllers, RFID, etc...) communicate and pass data with the controller.  A few items of interest I have run across are Fanuc MiLink and Focas 1/2.  These are hardware and software devices that facilitate communication and I/O between external devices and a controller.  Has anyone experimented in these areas of trying to get things to communicate with machine tools?  Is there literature readily available regarding these sorts of things?  I have done a few basic searches on the web and Youtube and I will call Fanuc on Monday.  I am just curious if there are any techie types on here that have looked into this technology, that might be able to give me some direction on where to look.

Guest MTB Technical Services

I am doing a little research on the Fanuc controller, primarily I/O and how external applications (cell controllers, RFID, etc...) communicate and pass data with the controller.  A few items of interest I have run across are Fanuc MiLink and Focas 1/2.  These are hardware and software devices that facilitate communication and I/O between external devices and a controller.  Has anyone experimented in these areas of trying to get things to communicate with machine tools?  Is there literature readily available regarding these sorts of things?  I have done a few basic searches on the web and Youtube and I will call Fanuc on Monday.  I am just curious if there are any techie types on here that have looked into this technology, that might be able to give me some direction on where to look.

Bob,

The best place to start is actually FANUC.

Automation companies like SVIA and ABB make extensive use of these.

You would do well to contact SVIA and ABB and ask for some information

regarding what they have currently deployed using this technology.

SVIA and ABB now have a joint Tech Center here in Houston.

FOCAS 1/2 is the interface that opens up the CNC. Last time I really dove in you could go use either the HSSB or the Embedded Ethernet connection.

There's a number of companies that have already built apps (like what Ron and Tim linked to). FANUC BOP is my personal favorite. You can do everything short of cycle start, cycle stop and E-Stop with it. You'll need to call FANUC for info about it. Now, if you want to do your own thing, you'll need to purchase the FOCAS libraries and do some coding. There's a better than decent chance you'll need to order this stuff through your builder/dealer.

HTH

I'm not sure if my machines have Focas 1/2 enabled.  Any idea what the going rate is for these features?  I'm just looking for a rough ballpark.  Also, are these features available on all Fanuc controls?  My two A51s have the 31i control and I know those will do this, just not sure about the 0i control on my PS95 (new in 2012).  Thanks for the help, this is really interesting stuff and has a lot of potential.

It's easy to find out if you have FOCAS... Press your System hard key, right arrow soft key until you see"EMB ETH" or something close to that. Press the EMB ETH soft key. You shoudl see FOCAS, if not, try the right arrow soft key once more. If you don't se it, you don't have it. I have no idea what any of the stuff we sell costs. That's intentional. Sales guys do their job, service guys do their jobs, apps guys do their jobs. :yes: it works better that way. :D

FOCAS can be added to any FANUC with an Embeded Ethernet port to the best of my knowledge.

I'm not familiar with MTConnect. FANUC BOP is my preferred interface. That combined with Custom MACRO B allows me to do just about anything I want to a FANUC machine tool.

It's easy to find out if you have FOCAS... Press your System hard key, right arrow soft key until you see"EMB ETH" or something close to that. Press the EMB ETH soft key. You shoudl see FOCAS, if not, try the right arrow soft key once more. If you don't se it, you don't have it. I have no idea what any of the stuff we sell costs. That's intentional. Sales guys do their job, service guys do their jobs, apps guys do their jobs. :yes: it works better that way. :D

FOCAS can be added to any FANUC with an Embeded Ethernet port to the best of my knowledge.

I'm not familiar with MTConnect. FANUC BOP is my preferred interface. That combined with Custom MACRO B allows me to do just about anything I want to a FANUC machine tool.

You ever vacation in Oregon?   :D  If so you need to stop by sometime.

• Like 1

If I am ever back up that way Tim's office and your shop are 2 places I want to stop in and say hey at. :clap::geek:

I'd love for you to stop by and have a look at how we are doing things.  I'm sure you could spot a few areas where we are doing well along with areas where we could improve, and you could probably enlighten us on a number of technologies we don't even know about.  It would be fun.  All of you are welcome to stop by anytime you happen to be in the area and can spare an hour or two.

Kinda makes me wish I was still there, if nothing else, just to see what you got going with the Makinos. They happen to be a favorite of mine. We've got five of them. Three since I showed up ;)

Maybe if I go up to visit my daughter one of these days I could con you into a visit.

All three of my machines have Focas2.  Any idea how that varies from Focas1?  Is Fanuc BOP typically standard on these machines or is it an add on?  Thanks for the help.