Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Worst crash ever?

Bob W.

I was waiting for someone to say they broke a pencil or something :rolleyes:

Ok, speaking of pencil

My worst crash was about $5500, a proven tool renumbering bug.

cutting for 27 hours( tons of ribs) and (insert favorite software here)

decided to give the 1/16 ball(water/rest) a t5, and the 1/16 (pencil) a T6 which was a

1/2" em.

lost the customer due to it being late

There used to be a video on youtube...a horizontal machine was probing a bunch of features on a tombstone....looked to be right and the end of the probing....and a rapid z move into the tombstone with the probe. It was violent enough that you could see the whole tombstone move. No chance of repairing that probe.....

Wish I could find that vid again.

Ok, speaking of pencil

My worst crash was about $5500, a proven tool renumbering bug.

cutting for 27 hours( tons of ribs) and (insert favorite software here)

decided to give the 1/16 ball(water/rest) a t5, and the 1/16 (pencil) a T6 which was a

1/2" em.

lost the customer due to it being late

ouch.

I must admit, that's one of the things I scan a prog for in NCPlot - work offset G# and THD.

We have modded the post so it throws an alarm incase they don't match but...

I find it unfortunate that bugs last long enough that people end up modifying their posts because they know the fix might be a few (or several) releases away.   :rant:

Yup - But it's cheaper than damaging a machine...

We also modded the post to disable automatic work offset numbering (-1)  - this 'nearly' caught us a couple of times as well.

So we enter the offset number we want rather than mcam assigning it without us realising because we have a plane set wrong!

I find it unfortunate that bugs last long enough that people end up modifying their posts because they know the fix might be a few (or several) releases away.   :rant:

Tool renumbering got fixed at X5 and did not revert back, so far (x7)

'''''''We have modded the post so it throws an alarm incase they don't match but...''''''

So you had a problem at some point with tool renumbering and a crash

made you modify the post?   That's how it bit me.   I wish they would have made it known

or at minimum put these alarms you speak of in the post they provide with the software.

I prefer to use MACRO variables for H and D. On Matsuuras it's how you do Tool Life Management. On other machines because setup guys like ot change tool numbers. They only have to change something twice; the stage, and the tool change. No H's need to be changed and no D's need to be changes. Easy Peazy. It also eliminates and possible software bugs related to tool renumbering.

:coffee:

I prefer to use MACRO variables for H and D. On Matsuuras it's how you do Tool Life Management. On other machines because setup guys like ot change tool numbers. They only have to change something twice; the stage, and the tool change. No H's need to be changed and no D's need to be changes. Easy Peazy. It also eliminates and possible software bugs related to tool renumbering.

:coffee:

Don't have the experience like you.

old school patter/mold maker from prints, never did much hand

gramming at the controller (Drilling, circular interpolation), just plain old 3-d software gramming and

design.

So i dont know much on macros and other things i know very little about.... LOL  :stuart:

;)

Tool renumbering got fixed at X5 and did not revert back, so far (x7)

'''''''We have modded the post so it throws an alarm incase they don't match but...''''''

So you had a problem at some point with tool renumbering and a crash

made you modify the post?   That's how it bit me.   I wish they would have made it known

or at minimum put these alarms you speak of in the post they provide with the software.

We're still running 5 (and 7) but just going to 9 (beta).

5 has been rock solid and we only had the renumber once but caught it. It never did it again but because of reading issues here, we changed the post.

The annoying thing with 5 has been drill cycles occasionally changing it's R value to 0... but we know that.

7 has been good for me although the other guy here hasn't touched it because the verify is a joke (his words).

So as we're a beta site we'll go straight into 9 and miss 8.

In for a penny..... :D

We're still running 5 (and 7) but just going to 9 (beta).

5 has been rock solid and we only had the renumber once but caught it. It never did it again but because of reading issues here, we changed the post.

The annoying thing with 5 has been drill cycles occasionally changing it's R value to 0... but we know that.

7 has been good for me although the other guy here hasn't touched it because the verify is a joke (his words).

So as we're a beta site we'll go straight into 9 and miss 8.

In for a penny..... :D

Thats odd, to me verify is one of the only reasons i upped from 6.

If I cant save time anywhere else, I'll take it in Verify!

Using verify in any WCS position rocks,

so glad they finally got up to speed with most the others. :)

Thats odd, to me verify is one of the only reasons i upped from 6.

If I cant save time anywhere else, I'll take it in Verify!

Using verify in any WCS position rocks,

so glad they finally got up to speed with most the others. :)

Kwality of the verify for the work we do  -  csk holes looking on screen like they've been cut at S1000000 F99999999999 with no dwell...

Also, small corner rad tools looking faceted etc.

It wasn't a big problem for me (using it) as I'd know that although the csk tool may look crap on screen, on the machine it won't be an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I like the new verify but I do think it was released a bit too early...

Kwality of the verify for the work we do  -  csk holes looking on screen like they've been cut at S1000000 F99999999999 with no dwell...

It wasn't a big problem for me (using it) as I'd know that although the csk tool may look crap on screen, on the machine it won't be an issue.

Don't get me wrong, I like the new verify but I do think it was released a bit too early...

Same here, but its much much FASTER, then ..... turbo

I just trust that its not gonna cut all that ugly crap that it shows..... LOL

(only looking for gouges here)

If you crank the precision in the MachineSimulationDefaults.xml you can get it pretty close to the old one. 

Don't have the experience like you.

old school patter/mold maker from prints, never did much hand

gramming at the controller (Drilling, circular interpolation), just plain old 3-d software gramming and

design.

So i dont know much on macros and other things i know very little about.... LOL  :stuart:

;)

In your tool change cycle, the line after the M06 add this;

#517=#4120

After you make that first tool change after you add the above line, you will always know what tool is in the spindle.

Now, all your part programs can use G43 H#517, and G41/G42 D#517

If you machine only has Tool Offset A (H&D cannot match), then add the following line after the #517... line;

#518=[#517+30]

Change 30 to whatever offset you want to add to the tool number for your D's.

HTH

Have you tried using the "Accurate Zoom" function? First, make sure you turn off "Turbo Mode", then cut your part. At any time during Verification, use the "Accurate Zoom". This will give you a better rendering of the cut part.