Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Worst crash ever?

Bob W.

Have you tried using the "Accurate Zoom" function? First, make sure you turn off "Turbo Mode", then cut your part. At any time during Verification, use the "Accurate Zoom". This will give you a better rendering of the cut part.

Yes Colin - but I was told that it was a 'bit of faffing about' compared to the old verify...

• 1 month later...

New guy starts, cutting a 8mm, 4-start thread on the TOS manual lathe.  Finishes job before smoko, and heads off for his brake.  The boss comes in the workshop to polish a shaft for his motorbike.  Spindle speed set to max, 3000rpm.  Everyone knows what happens next..... new guy left lead screw engaged.  Welded the toolpost to the 3-jaw chuck.  New guy didn't even finish his cup of coffee :)

New guy starts, cutting a 8mm, 4-start thread on the TOS manual lathe. Finishes job before smoko, and heads off for his brake. The boss comes in the workshop to polish a shaft for his motorbike. Spindle speed set to max, 3000rpm. Everyone knows what happens next..... new guy left lead screw engaged. Welded the toolpost to the 3-jaw chuck. New guy didn't even finish his cup of coffee :)

Why was that the new guys fault?

Anyone wiff half a brain woulda known the carriage was locked...since when do you polish something with the tool post in the way...first thing would have been to move the carriage back.

And could the owner not see the half nut lever was in the wrong position?

There is a brake pedel?

That was owners fault.

Leaving the lead screw engaged is kind of like leaving the chuck key in the chuck IMO.   The way we run things here it takes two screw ups to cause a disaster and that is exactly what happened in this case.  New guy shouldn't have left the lead screw engaged and the guy that stepped up to the machine should have done a quick overview to make sure it was safe to power up.  I would have chewed them both...

New guy starts, cutting a 8mm, 4-start thread on the TOS manual lathe.  Finishes job before smoko, and heads off for his brake.  The boss comes in the workshop to polish a shaft for his motorbike.  Spindle speed set to max, 3000rpm.  Everyone knows what happens next..... new guy left lead screw engaged.  Welded the toolpost to the 3-jaw chuck.  New guy didn't even finish his cup of coffee :)

I was in a shop years ago and the owners son loved to play machinist. We had to make sure our machines and areas were wiped down everyday. I can in on 2nd Shift and the owner son left me a huge mess on a lathe. Half Nut was engaged as well. I took all the oil soaked tools, chips and rags in put then in a cardboard box and put it on his accounting desk right on top of all of his paper work. Shop Foreman knew what I was doing and was laughing thinking I would get fired(Different Story). Next morning the owner's son comes in and there is oil all over his desk and dripped onto the floor. He starts yelling and screaming and the owner comes into his sons office to find out what is going on. They call the shop foreman in who tells them why and what I did. The owner tells the son he better make sure that area is good and clean or he might walk back into another mess. Shocked the owner's son and shop foreman.

Point is I agree it is the owners fault. It is anyone's fault who walks up to any machine and turns it own and doesn't bother to check and or see where things are at on the machine. I had guys loosen parts up and do things to sabotage my work before so maybe it makes me more weary than most, but still I think you own it the second you hit the green button.

Leaving the lead screw engaged is kind of like leaving the chuck key in the chuck IMO.   The way we run things here it takes two screw ups to cause a disaster and that is exactly what happened in this case.  New guy shouldn't have left the lead screw engaged and the guy that stepped up to the machine should have done a quick overview to make sure it was safe to power up.  I would have chewed them both...

:laughing: :laughing: Bob how do you chew yourself out since you own your company? Sorry stuck me as funny :laughing: :laughing: Me I go for a long walk and read myself the riot act. :laughing: :laughing: I have calmed down the older I get. When I was right out of high school I would throw things when I made mistakes and get so mad at myself.

• Like 1

:laughing: :laughing: Bob how do you chew yourself out since you own your company? Sorry stuck me as funny :laughing: :laughing: Me I go for a long walk and read myself the riot act. :laughing: :laughing: I have calmed down the older I get. When I was right out of high school I would throw things when I made mistakes and get so mad at myself.

I have to pay $$$ for it...  I liken it to throwing $$$ in the fire pit and lighting a match.  :realmad:

I have to pay $$$ for it...  I liken it to throwing $$$ in the fire pit and lighting a match.  :realmad:

I hear you. I hear you. Why I could never have my own shop I am hard enough on myself and when someone does something really boneheaded it drives me crazy.

People have asked me over the years that very question. "Why do you open your own shop?" I have told most nope. After running all the different places I have run and having set a shop up from the ground floor I will pass. I will get pressed about it and I reply. "If I had $10 million I would do it, but if I had that kind of money I would retire and just keep doing what I am currently doing just with no worry about getting paid for it".

Respect for shop owners. Hardest thing with running any business is not the decisions that need to be made to run it. It is dealing with people.

• Like 1

I've gotta wonder what's going through the head of someone like that.  Don't they realize that if they cut into the company's bottom line it's going to cut into their paycheck somewhere down the road?

I fired 20 year experience guy for that behavior one time. I had him show a new person how to cut threads on a manual lathe. He showed him everything correct, expect had him set the compound up the opposite way. Guy went to cut the threads and scrapped a $5k shaft because of it. The 20 year guy was like shocked I did it. I will not tolerate it from anyone. I upset people a lot the time showing people what I know when I go into shops. Why are you showing them what you know what are you doing that? I care to help this profession and if it upsets people I am doing it they need to re evaluate their thinking not me.

I pushed the button and put my hands in my pockets   :geek:

I saw my high school employee hit cycle start on a new program with the machine at 100% rapid.  He will not do that again hopefully.  When stuff like that happens I try to make it memorable with being an @sshole because I really don't want it to be forgotten.

Not really the worst, but kinda funny: I saw a guy hit the spindle start button on a mori horizontal while he was holding the coax indicator with his other hand.  The speed was set to 10000.  Fried the coax indicator and left the operator a lil shaky for the rest of the night.  You'd be surprised how long it takes to find the stop button at a time like that.