Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Worst crash ever?

Bob W.

Yeah I've done a few smaller offenses while first learning.  one story not related to crashes was how someone rigged a trailer to flip they used a basket instead of a choke slid out and folded the guy in half while trying to set up stands. I always ask what worst crash everyone has done.  

I was working on a tm1 haas on some really tall parts using my $250 interapid indicator.  it was above the height of the tool change pos. without thinking I hit atc fwd and crammed my indicator into the part. thankfully not hurting the part or the machine.  it was an umbrella style changer so the tools didn't pull out of spindle rather the head moved off the tool once in the carousal. I was so pissed at myself for that one. 

I did the same thing once at my first job. Put the coax in the spindle on an old Fadal vertical mill and hit the spindle on button, last RPM was 8500. The Fadal has a big red Spindle off button along with a big red feed hold button, as soon as I turned spindle on I knew what I had done and immediately began to mash the red button. The shaft on the coax busted and flew out of the machine and smacked me in the ribcage. After I got my wind back I realized that I was hitting the feed hold button instead of the spindle off. Had a nice bruise for a couple of weeks, and still to this day I am extremely careful every time I use a coax,

I did the same thing once at my first job. Put the coax in the spindle on an old Fadal vertical mill and hit the spindle on button, last RPM was 8500. The Fadal has a big red Spindle off button along with a big red feed hold button, as soon as I turned spindle on I knew what I had done and immediately began to mash the red button. The shaft on the coax busted and flew out of the machine and smacked me in the ribcage. After I got my wind back I realized that I was hitting the feed hold button instead of the spindle off. Had a nice bruise for a couple of weeks, and still to this day I am extremely careful every time I use a coax,

A dude here did the same thing except the shaft shot off and stuck him in the arm.

• 2 years later...
On 12/2/2014 at 11:14 AM, The Cathedral said:

Had an operator run the spindle warm-up program on an HMC with a 10" long Allied inserted drill. Once it hit 15,000 rpm the drill came out of balance, bent then sheared off and flew out the back of the machine. Straight through the sheet metal all the way. He was standing at the control panel; had the drill decided to fly towards the front of the machine instead, it would have been bad.

This exact same thing happened in my old shop on a brand new Matsuura. The operator had so many years of experience and obviously knew more than anyone in the shop (sarcasm). He has since earned himself the nickname Wreck-It Ralph. :D