Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machining Strategies and Techniques tutorials, Where to find?

DBronson

Gents, are any of you aware of any educational tutorials on machining strategy's and Technics. 

Let me explain in more detail;  an ALU hogout which has pockets, thin walls, holes, clevis, tight tolerance flatness call outs and tight true position call outs on holes ect.. The tutorials would cover different roughing methods and what tools work best based on the type of Matl and shape of the part. And the order in which one should rough away Matl and or leave some till the end for rigidity. 

I have seen many tutorials that can be purchased teach the in and outs of Mastercam but none on which part Features should be machined first and which ones you should save for last.

Thank you, John

You're talking process

That is something that only experience can give you and that process can and does change from part to part.

You'll never find a one process works across all situations

Get cracking and start learning!

:)

As I know there is not any of this out there, as it changes by the shape and material. but that is hard as an instructor unless you have done it or are doing it.

As I do both when I teach it is easier to talk about these strategies and thoughts as I like to do with the students. if there is a way for you to learn this it would help when teaching CAM if that is one of the things you teach John.

As I know there is not any of this out there, as it changes by the shape and material. but that is hard as an instructor unless you have done it or are doing it.

As I do both when I teach it is easier to talk about these strategies and thoughts as I like to do with the students. if there is a way for you to learn this it would help when teaching CAM if that is one of the things you teach John.

I have approached strategies with people while training, however never in a broad approach, I have always done it in the context of the work that they are doing.

A process that works on one part may not be good for another because of a number of factors, material, geometry variations, thin wall/floor, dimensions, available machine, available tools and others. In my opinion, there are just too many variables to throw one broad blanket over it. As soon as you do, someone is going to hit one of those variations, fall down and then start a blog about how badly you s*ck.

I'm not sure of a tutorial that would specifically cover what you've asked for, but SandVik does have some excellent machining guides that walk you through sample parts for certain industries. I think they have something for Aerospace machining, which sounds like your application. I can tell you that their guide on HSRA parts (turbines, blisks) was very helpful the first time I had to cut a job out of Inconel.

• Like 1

It is a loaded topic IMHO. Most jobs have many factors, part design. number of parts, material, types of machinery and tooling on hand and the desired finish and tolerance of the finished part.

Some processes are shop specific.

These 2 tiny parts required 5 setups due to the machinery I have at my disposal. The little V shape is only 0.016" tall . I started out with 5/8dia aluminum rod.

IMG_0912a_zps6639e649.jpg

• Like 1

It is a loaded topic IMHO. Most jobs have many factors, part design. number of parts, material, types of machinery and tooling on hand and the desired finish and tolerance of the finished part.

Some processes are shop specific.

These 2 tiny parts required 5 setups due to the machinery I have at my disposal. The little V shape is only 0.016" tall . I started out with 5/8dia aluminum rod.

IMG_0912a_zps6639e649.jpg

Good work.