Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

High speed machine tool suggestions and questions

Elliott... All I can say about those guys is TOP NOTCH! Clive is THE MAN! :yes:

They looked after me when when I went to look at the Mikron's and Matsuura's and i'm not even in their sales district. They spent over 2 hours showing me around and answering all of my questions. Makes me wish our shop was in southern Ontario, on second thought no, I can't take the cold anymore.

Thumbs up to Elliott from me.

Yes, Elliott Matsuura is our dealer. They are a good dealer. Our issues are with Mikron.

That is what I thought. I'm just curious to know why you went with the Mikron instead of the Matsuura?

FWIW Elliot is my local dealer out in BC, they don't push the Mikron line out here, just the MAM's.

That is what I thought. I'm just curious to know why you went with the Mikron instead of the Matsuura?

FWIW Elliot is my local dealer out in BC, they don't push the Mikron line out here, just the MAM's.

That is pretty simple to answer. We were a long time Makino customer, but our Mikron dealer tried to get their foot in the door. We already had a long relationship with our dealer ( Mikron ) for other machine tools and they basically made us a deal we couldn't turn down. They felt that once we got used to the Mikron, we would like it even better than the Makino's. The Mikron also came with a 42K rpm spindle, whereas our Makino's are 30K rpm. 

Matsuura didn't have anything well suited to our needs at the time. 

The allure of the 5X Mikron is hard to resist. They are wicked fast yet gracefull at the same time. The physical size and footprint of the machine with a pallet system is respectably small. Put a part anywhere on the table, probe it, and the "Smart Machine" compensates the deviations from center and adjusts accordingly, on the fly. No mathemajics required when all 5X are moving at the same time. The 3R system coupled with Schunk tooling is excellent. Watching one of these probe then run full speed ahead is impressive. That is what sucks you in.

The Mikron service is not lacking in any way. It appears that they just don't know how to fix this.

late to the party here, it's been a real tough month and I have been negligent in my eMC duties

on the original subject, 5x machines

Okuma, they make a solid machine and you can get a FANUC control on it.

We have an Okuma HU-10000 5x machine, a very large trunion machine..it's very powerful and very accurate

They also make  a couple of smaller verticals, the MU series.

I don't think they are available with Fanuc controls though.

One brand I haven't seen mentioned here is Mitsui Seiki.

They make some very nice 5X trunion machines and they have Fanuc controls

They used to build them in both standard and high accuracy models.

I built a tough 5 axis part on an HU-63 some years ago that came out so nice

the source inspector accused us of submitting a fake inspection report.

• Like 1

That is pretty simple to answer. We were a long time Makino customer, but our Mikron dealer tried to get their foot in the door. We already had a long relationship with our dealer ( Mikron ) for other machine tools and they basically made us a deal we couldn't turn down. They felt that once we got used to the Mikron, we would like it even better than the Makino's. The Mikron also came with a 42K rpm spindle, whereas our Makino's are 30K rpm. 

Matsuura didn't have anything well suited to our needs at the time. 

What does the Mikron have that you can't get with a LX or MAM series Matsuura? I'm not too familiar with the Mikron line, but a quick glance sure makes them look similarly equipped to the MAM series.

The MAM's don't have this... :yes:

...a German/Swiss engineer somewhere rolling his eyes at every tool change..."Ugh, you vant to change tuls, again? Shizer, let me stop the spindle and fold out this rube goldberg ಠ_ಠ  "

:rofl:

• 2 weeks later...

Yes that is Global. I spoke with them in regards to a Matsuura and they were very helpful but that's the etent of my interaction with them. Hopefully we buy a MAM72-63 and then i'll give you more info lol.

I don't need more info, as I've dealt with them before. We got a price from them for a MAM, before we settled on the MU500VA-II :)

Plus I used to get called up by their tooling rep every so often...

• 4 years later...

Hi everybody,

I am new here and new in CNC machining.

Looking to buy a small CNC machine for hoby - garage type of work. Looking to make prototypes of some turbines with air bearings. So micron precision is a must, I believe.

After I looked into Kern, Haas I found out that they have, so called, Mini or Micro machines. Small but pretty accurate. Haas, not that expensive (around $30k) which is my range.

Can anybody give me an advice if there are similar options within similar price range by any other CNC 5 axis manufacturers?

9 hours ago, zdravko9 said:

Hi everybody,

I am new here and new in CNC machining.

Looking to buy a small CNC machine for hoby - garage type of work. Looking to make prototypes of some turbines with air bearings. So micron precision is a must, I believe.

After I looked into Kern, Haas I found out that they have, so called, Mini or Micro machines. Small but pretty accurate. Haas, not that expensive (around $30k) which is my range.

Can anybody give me an advice if there are similar options within similar price range by any other CNC 5 axis manufacturers?

Look over ocean there are some very nice small foot print machines that are even horizontal. HSK30 would be a solid choice for holders. Not sure any fall into the $30k budget.

I looked at Haas first and was pleasantly surprized by their prices. They have them right there on their website for anyone to see. Their Mini is in the $30k range. I am trying to get info on Kern factory refurbished Micro machine for las two weeks. Unlike Chinese (which reply to inquiries within minutes) I was waiting for the reply from Cazeneuve for two three weeks. The future looks bleak. 

I am not saying that I know exactly what and why I want to do it, but my idea was to have this turbine made with air bearings, and for that I thaught I needed a micron class machineso I do not have to go for grinding phase of the shaft etc... 

I am also looking for inexpensive (if they exist) EDM machine with rotation, so I can make thin slicing of the rotor (like in Tesla turbine). If anyone has a recommendation...I would be grateful. 

A Haas will generally hold .0001" to .0002" if you do your job right.  I don't think that's tight enough for air bearings.  If you want to make turbines you'll need at least 4 axis, probably five axis.  You're not going to get that for $30k; the trunnion itself for 5 axis will cost at least that much.

On air bearing tolerances and clearances:

https://www.practicalmachinist.com/vb/general/what-kind-tolerances-used-air-bearings-291626/

Looks like it largely depends on how stiff you want it to be and how much airflow you want to use.