Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

can you run a haas at 12k rpm cont.

So at my previous work, we had a brand new fadal and a sticker on the side of it recommended running it at 90 percent of its max rpm to extend spindle life then gave a break down of warm up. It stuck in my mind. At my new job we purchased a new vf3ss with the 12k spindle. There is no recommendation in the instructions surrounding that idea.

So therefore would you run your spindle at 12k alot of the time or would u back it off?

I went though 7 spindles on 2 machines years ago doing that very thing. They replaced them after 9 months of issues with belt drive spindles. That was years ago, but make sure you are using balanced holders and I would recommend using a warm up cycle.

yes i am using all sandvik holders, and i always warm up. its inline direct drive.

I've run the living crap out of haas spindles. 15000k spindle, ran 48hrs straight on a mold. Still running 8 years later.   6k spindle, 24hrs at least. Still running 10yrs later.    10k's? Same about thing.  12k's? somewhere up there too. 7500 at least 48hrs. A vf-1, the literally Very First One, from the early 90's, has been run for at least 24hrs many times.

The spindles that were bad seem to go right away. If they last a year, it seems they will last 10. Thru-spindle coolant I would be hesitant about.

That said, every spindle has it's "sweet spot". Years ago a tech left a vibration analysis oscilloscope type device at our shop for a week. I found each machine had an optimal rpm where vibration was lowest. eg, a 12k machine that ran optimally at 9500. a 6k machine at 5xxx.  It was interesting to really experiment with. A few japanese that we had were MUCH more consistent in the vibration profiles. Haas was not. 

m2c

Regarding spindle life, it does depend upon the type of work you are doing.

If you have a vertical and do a lot of box machining (cutters deep in with minimal overhang so the spindle nose is as close to the top face as possible which means coolant can wick up into the nose/front bearings) this is a guaranteed life shortener.

However, if you change method so you machine on a vice/4th axis rotary setup, if there is a  side hole or feature to put in, machine that first. So when you are then cutting deep in the vertical op, the coolant washes through the part, and you're not just then machining in a 'fish tank'.

Or buy a horizontal...

Other thing that seems to reduce life is rpm changes. Ramping up and down all the time greatly reduces MTBF (I was once told - you AE guys could jump in here?). Perhaps this is why you mold boys run okay at high revs for long periods because you don't have much spindle load (finishing) and are running constant revs?

Good point. I program low-load/dynamic cuts with fast feeds, with low spindle loading, and the long run times are finish with minimal spindle load.  So theoretically if lube system is clean and flowing, air is dry, balance is good, no-load wide open running spindle "should" have a very long life. If it's good from the get-go.

Shade-tree theory there, you read it on the interweb :D

• Like 1