Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Speed and feed calculator

bigprody

Ok, this is a problem that I have worked around for a few years now and I would like to get past it. The speeds and feeds that are calculated on the operation pages are not correct. I always have to open the speed and feed calculator by right clicking the tool and using that to set correct sfpm and ipt values. It seems like a very basic calc that does not work on the operation page. Any thoughts?

In the machine group properties, tool settings it is set for from matl. I have attached a snip that includes both the calculator and the operation and you can see the differences. In the actual boxes on the calculator the SFPM (210) and IPT (.00561) are correct using the spindle speed of (401), and feed rate of (13.4976)  with a 2.0 tool diameter. The boxes on the operation give me a FPT of .0048 and SFM of 419.8953, incorrect.

post-40252-0-25244700-1420730530_thumb.png

Are you using the lock feedrates in the configuration? That could be making you see this weird issues. I have not had problems with the speeds and feeds in the operations tab, but I have seen with lock feed rates unless you right click and re-initialize speeds and feeds it can sometimes look a miss. The lock feed rates it take anything programmed before and using those speeds and feeds and not ones assigned to the tool. Without lock feedrate set in the configuration when you grab a tool any and all speeds and feeds associated with tool in the library get pulled in. For years the process was not lock feed rates for making new operations or changing tools inside of an operation, but I think about X5 or so Lock feedrates was added as the default process as part of the install. If you were or are not familiar with this in essence over riding of what you tool is set to in the tool library it can really seem like things are going wonky. I had a drilling operation with a 100 ipm feed rate because of this so I can relate. Lucky I caught it before taking that 1-3/4 drill into a part.

In the machine group properties, tool settings it is set for from matl. I have attached a snip that includes both the calculator and the operation and you can see the differences. In the actual boxes on the calculator the SFPM (210) and IPT (.00561) are correct using the spindle speed of (401), and feed rate of (13.4976)  with a 2.0 tool diameter. The boxes on the operation give me a FPT of .0048 and SFM of 419.8953, incorrect.

attachicon.gifspeed feed.PNG

What is your tool set too on the percentages tab for machining methods? I never use the Material library I program my speed and feed to the part I am cutting not hoping something will figure it our for me. 

We build progressive dies here and 99 % of the materials we run are A-2, A-6, M-4, 10-V, and CRS. We have spent a bit if time working our Material libraries to get us what we want for the basic stuff, drilling, tapping, reaming, facing and such. Adjustments are made when needed which is often when it comes to milling. Locked feed rates is not checked. Not sure what percentages tab you are talking about. The only ones I know of are shown on the calculator of the image I sent before.

The percentages I am talking about are under tools themselves in the properties.

There are 4 settings:

Rough XY step (%):    50

Rough Z step (%):      50

Finish XY step (%):     25

Finish Z step (%):       25

When using Automatic stuff in Mastercam like you are doing everything from the box you put up to the operation defaults and even the tools has to all be dialed it, but NOT just one thing all of it from my understanding. For the type of work you are doing I think you are going about it a good way, but maybe these percentages that are related to the tools are adjusting things you are or were not aware of is why I thought it was good to make the suggestion about them. I can be wrong has happened many times before, but without being able to sit next to you to see you go though it here is what I am thinking.

Yes, we have spent time setting the % in the tool definition fields to produce what we want. I just got a bit aggravated with it this morning, and popped off a question. I spent a bit more time messing with it and it seems that it is just not updating the fields after the initial calculation based on matl. I just wish it would show the correct values so that I did not have to go back to the calculator to see where things are really at.

Thanks for your time on this.

Kevin

Yes, we have spent time setting the % in the tool definition fields to produce what we want. I just got a bit aggravated with it this morning, and popped off a question. I spent a bit more time messing with it and it seems that it is just not updating the fields after the initial calculation based on matl. I just wish it would show the correct values so that I did not have to go back to the calculator to see where things are really at.

Thanks for your time on this.

Kevin

I understand and by what you just said I would really think something is being locked somewhere. It could be as simple as a permission issue on the user account or in the windows settings. Weird how sometimes things like that create all kind of havoc.

That said I know the dealers in your area and they are a great so might shoot off a question to them about it and they might have some good insight as well.

There is a "re-calculate speeds and feeds" button in the tool settings that has to be pressed.

The "re-calculate speeds and feeds" button updates to the material base line and doesn't reflect changes made with the speed and feed calculator.

I'm uncomfortable using the feed and speed calculator on the tool page of an operation because if you update a tool number and regen you reset the speed and feeds.

There is no way from the operation page to update the feed and speed to the tool or the tool library.