Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

How many use check surfaces in HST toolpaths?

crazy^millman

We have a project we are working on and the using of check surfaces for some of the HST toolpaths was needed. I have used them here and there, but was wondering how many people are using them for HST toolpaths? How many people even know you can use them? I know it can be misleading that you cannot use them since they are greyed out when 1st picking geometry, but after you have picked everything for the operation you can pick check surfaces through the 1st page on the toolpath type.

These hidden gems as I call them are all throughout Mastercam. I am always learning new and different ways to do things and if this topic points others in a better direction great. If I am crazy for using them I am good with that, but was wondering what others thoughts on this might be.

I use them all the time

Check surfaces the ultimate "Dont touch this area" !!

Early releases of X didnt offer them for a while if l recall ?

I see it the same way I will make offset surfaces of features I want the toolpaths to stay away from. When using a Raptor System for holding parts I make surfaces from my Raptor offset them .100 and then use them as check surfaces. Never have to worry about hitting my clamping system and done.

i do, now that you can leave stock on the check surfaces.

on specific paths that I am blending up to adjacent drafted walls and such

i know you like pics, so here is a for instance ;)

The white surface need to be polish free for the tolerance

so I boundary with a raster path and 'check' the 1 deg vertical walls

BTW I modeled this component with spaceclaim from a print :)

check2_zps8a1a43ea.png

• Like 1

I use them pretty often. I hated when they weren't available in the early releases!!!

Think there will ever be the day where you can leave different amounts of stock on different check surfaces? I've seen this in Powermill. Essentially there are groups inside the check surfaces where you can leave varying amounts of stock. It's setup kind of like a spreadsheet or looks similar to the level manager. Pretty sweet feature I thought. 

I use them pretty often. I hated when they weren't available in the early releases!!!

Think there will ever be the day where you can leave different amounts of stock on different check surfaces? I've seen this in Powermill. Essentially there are groups inside the check surfaces where you can leave varying amounts of stock. It's setup kind of like a spreadsheet or looks similar to the level manager. Pretty sweet feature I thought. 

That sounds pretty neat. I just use offset surfaces as different amounts as my poor mans method to get it done.

I love check surfaces...sometimes they do funky things to tool paths but not all the time...

When I try to use them on optirest though they wont let me...

Did you try making surfaces and using them as the check surfaces, verses trying to use surfaces from the model you may have picked for the operation?

Back in V9, using check surfaces added huge amounts of time to toolpath calculation so I quit using them and haven't looked back. Has that changed any over the years? Using drive surfaces and boundaries here.

I think it faster, but the problem is 3D shapes and some of the HST toolpaths don't respect the boundaries, but they will respect a check surface. Again a little different thought is some areas you might want to leave .02 and other areas you might want to leave .100 and by using offset surfaces of those areas you can do that.

I'm doing an Opticore toolpath right now and when I select check surfaces it tells me "check surfaces will be treated as drive surfaces".  Do check surfaces not work with Opticore? 

That is not an error that is just telling you they will be treated as such and with the correct boundary in place all should be good. Might think about extending your RED surface past your boundary and see how much different that toolpath will process.

I added the lite blue surfaces as check surfaces and redid the toolpath. I did add depth limits to the toolpath. I changed the Clearance Plane to .25. I also like to use machine Entire Pass verses the Minimize Trimming. I also changed the Line/Arc Filtering settings to use Arc in G17,G18,G19. It reduced the NCI from 7796.6K to 1066.5K.

HTH

Thanks Ron. Yea didn't really like how it looked like it was cutting the sides. Always thought that message meant check surfaces didn't work. I just need to use these paths more.

Glad to help and yes some of the messages in these toolpaths could be worded different. I am crazy enough to see what happens. It fails I learned something, but if it work and gives me results I wanted all along then I ignore and get the job done the way I want it done.