Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

to buy a Spacemouse pro or not to buy

phodee6

i was looking into that razor keyboard i thought i wouldn't work for me, i guess i should have waited a few more days to purchase the Spacemouse Pro and gave more thought into that device.   Anyways  i did get the Spacemouse pro the other day and love the fact that my left hands is doing something and helps relieve some pain from my right constantly clicking and moving around.   i also have that Logitech trackball mouse and the Logitech MX mouse which i go back in forth when the pain start kicking in.

Does any one know the hotkey/marco for the Plane Manager?

Cadcam, 

I hear what you're saying. It really comes down to what a guy is use to and what he wants. Like I said above, I had a space navigator for about a month, but sold it to a coworker.

Oh, should I mention that he rarely uses it, which I feel validates my opinion about these Navigators.

Also Cadcam, thank you for recognizing my girlfriends thoughtful loving actions. She smiled when I showed her your reply. I should mention that she is now my Fiancé. I proposed to her yesterday; Valentines Day.

• Like 2

Cadcam, 
I hear what you're saying. It really comes down to what a guy is use to and what he wants. Like I said above, I had a space navigator for about a month, but sold it to a coworker.
Oh, should I mention that he rarely uses it, which I feel validates my opinion about these Navigators.

When I bought my first SpaceBall years ago. I tried it out and couldn't get the feel of it.

It sat on my desk unused for about six months.

One day I thought.." I spent $450 on this thing, I'm going to learn to use it"

I slowed the response rate to a crawl and started working with it.

It quickly becomes instictive and you don't even think about it while you use it.

If you're working with models in aircraaft space you may need to set a rotation point,

but after a while it's no different than looking at something you're holding in your hand.

I just bought 4 Space Pilot Pro's from Jay for my guys at work.

One of them has never used a 3D mouse before. It will be inteeresting to see how quickly he picks it up ( or not)

I agree with gcode, the single best thing new users can do is to slow it down.

Once you get used to it pick the up to a comfortable speed.

Program your buttons for commonly used functions.

I won't fly without one

When I bought my first SpaceBall years ago. I tried it out and couldn't get the feel of it.

It sat on my desk unused for about six months.

One day I thought.." I spent $450 on this thing, I'm going to learn to use it"

Pretty much the exact scenario I went through. It takes a little discipline to start using it because at first it doesn't seem that easy. But at this point, I feel like I'm working with one hand tied behind my back without one.  One trick I used to force myself to start using it was disabling the scroll wheel/ zoom on my right mouse.

Mike

I've got a Space Pilot Pro and a Kensington Expert Mouse that I've had for years.

The 2.0" diameter track ball makes zooming across 54" of LED real estate super easy and accurate. I also love the scroll ring on the Expert Mouse instead of a regular mouse wheel. I'm still in the learning curve mode with the Space Pilot, but I'm liking it so far. (Was on sale at Newegg a while back when I got it) I'm not clever enough to start writing macros yet =/

The wired Spacemouse Pro is on sale at the Egg right now, 8% off.

post-59523-0-71534000-1424067708_thumb.jpg

Cadcam, 

Also Cadcam, thank you for recognizing my girlfriends thoughtful loving actions. She smiled when I showed her your reply. I should mention that she is now my Fiancé. I proposed to her yesterday; Valentines Day.

Edward, Let me start this reply off with a giant Congrats for you two.Oh and were is my invite to the wedding. I see I do not need ask how your Valentines went. :thumbsup:

I hear what you are saying about the Navigator. But that is one of the diffrences you went with that one and not say the Space Pilot Pro were you have all extra options.

look here at the diffrence on the units http://www.ppcadcam.com/images/Comparison-Chart-1920x1080.png .

• 3 weeks later...

Now for a short time use this link with my Promo Code 10PP2015 and get 10% off on all Pro version unites.

Link to purchase: http://www.3dconnexion.com/index.php?id=210&partner=partnershop/PPCAD Don't forget to use the promo code.

Jay,

The boss just gave me the go ahead to purchase a 3d mouse to test drive. If the IE confirms the cost savings we are projecting, we'll probably order about ten more.  Because of our environment, it has to be wired so I am pretty much narrowed down to either the SpacePilot Pro or the SpaceMouse Pro.

Do they have the same sensors and feel?  Is the LCD and extra buttons really worth the extra cost?

They use the same sensor. I have both and prefer the spacepilot pro because of the extra button but with the new software you can add multiple functions to one button. My recommendation would be the spacemouse pro if cost is a factor. You honestly can't go wrong either way.

Cost is not the issue at all.  My director told me to excess 100k plus worth of edm rotary tooling because it wasn't worth messing with.  Ease of use for some of the guys may be an issue.  

Is it easy to set-up?

can multiple users on one computer have there on set-up when logged in?

Matt,

This is a good question ( can multiple users on one computer have there on set-up when logged in?)  as I have not tried this or been asked I have to ask are they logging in as different users or is everyone logging in the same?

As for controls the Pilot pro does give you more programmable buttons. but if you like the on screen option you can have more so if you went with the mouse pro you still have allot of options.
Did you see the video I posted here showing the new drivers and the options?

I use both units in my office for me and have to say it really matters how many button controls you want to have. but I must say that if you are going to use them daily going with the Pro series having the wrist rest is a must.

• Like 1

Matt,

This is a good question ( can multiple users on one computer have there on set-up when logged in?)  as I have not tried this or been asked I have to ask are they logging in as different users or is everyone logging in the same?

We each have our own log-in.

• 1 year later...

I have a problem with my space pilot pro.  I have a new computer at work and connected my space pilot to it and also downloaded the latest drivers.  The space ball stops working after a few minutes and I have to reboot my computer to get it working again.  I tried plugging it into another USB port and that does not work.  Anyone else having this problem?

I have a problem with my space pilot pro.  I have a new computer at work and connected my space pilot to it and also downloaded the latest drivers.  The space ball stops working after a few minutes and I have to reboot my computer to get it working again.  I tried plugging it into another USB port and that does not work.  Anyone else having this problem?

I recently had to go back a couple versions on the driver because of this issue

have you reviewed your power settings to be sure your USB ports are not being shut off by a power saving scheme

• Like 1

Anybody got the cad mouse from 3D Connections?

Yes,

I bought 2 and liked them a lot, but..

After about 12 months of 10hr days at work the left button was getting noisy and required more and more effort to

click it.

I was a very early adopter and my hope was there were issues with the first production run that had been solved

I emailed 3D Connexion Customer Support about it, but never received a reply.. so I'm back running

a Logitech mouse... a wireless G900... it was way too expensive, but it's hands down the best mouse I've ever used.