Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

to buy a Spacemouse pro or not to buy

phodee6

My question is should i buy the Spacemouse Pro?   Am a full time programmer, I mostly do 2d/3d programming ,  Once or twice a month i design nests and fixtures in Mastercam.   This would come out of my own money thinking this might be a nice investment for myself (eg. help relief wrist pain and spend up design and programing ).  i  did a bit of research on the net about mice for cad work and i have been leaning toward a device like this.  The problem is I don't know of anyone who uses one and would you guys buy this item with your own money? 

I bought my first SpaceBall in 2001

By 2004 I had worn it out and called 3D Connexion about getting it repaired.

They sent me a brand new one .. for free.. didn't even charge me shipping

They earned a customer for life with that deal.

Today I'm running a Space Pilot Pro at work and a Space Mouse Pro at home, both purchased personally.

If I needed another device, I'd by the Space Mouse Pro..

The added buttons and the LCD in the Space Pilot aren't worth the extra $100 IMO. 

After 15 years, I simply cannot work without one.

If you're having pain in your mouse hand you should get one immediately, it will cut your mouse hand

work load in half.

If you have a student ID you can buy one direct from 3D Connexion for almost half price.

Jay Kramer here on the forums sell them at a good price and you can also buy them from Amazon.

or New Egg.

• Like 3

I got a Space Pilot (pre-Pro) for $110 of my own money on eBay several years ago, shortly after the Pro came out.  On the few occasions I program without it I feel like a one armed drummer.  I talked my designer coworker into getting one and he's hooked now too.

Just checked, there are plenty of both Space Pilot and Space Pilot Pro on eBay for much less than $400.

I have been using a Spacepilot for so long I wouldn't program without it. I have the pro version and I would buy it again without hesitation. I use a lot of the buttons so to me it is worth every cent. Honestly I wish there new mouse used the same sensor technology instead of being like a regular mouse. That way you would barely have to move your hand. I would have ordered one for sure. 

Phodee6,

I program in all dimensions and think those spacemice are no good gimmicks (I owned The SpaceNavigator 3D once). I am not looking to impress people, instead, I'm looking for accuracy and speed, employers love that.

Here is what I use; Razer Naga (mouse) and Razor Tartarus (keypad). These tools allow me to have my most used Mastercam combination functions executed with just one button. I have all these functions programmed as macros; it makes me very quick and efficient. I use the scroll wheel to rotate and the mouse and keypad to fly through bunches of macro I have programmed that work exclusively with Mastercam. The picture below are of the mouse and keypad I use.

Razor Tartarus and Razer Naga

mygear.jpg

Below is my desk at work; it’s a stand up desk because I hate sitting all day. I have the exact setup at home too.

mydesk.jpg

Yes, those are love notes on my monitors and wall. My girlfriend puts them in my lunch box to make me smile, so I hang them up :-)

• Like 2

I switched over to the exact trackball pictured, roughly a year ago. Constant panning and zooming have really highlighted my issue. I am on a computer  a good 12 hours everyday, most days more. That compounded with lifting and spinning wrenches, hand surgery in my 30's is looking promising.  :thumbdown:

• Like 1

I Used a space pilot for a few years but it disappeared from my desk over a weekend. :thumbdown:

i ended up buying a Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball Mouse. I really like using this mouse and have had no wrist pain since i started using it. :smoke:

That's the same mouse I use--mouse on the right, space pilot on the left.

I have that mouse at home too--I have my tower PC hooked up to my TV so I can chill out on the couch. I've been using trackballs for as long as I've been playing RTS games. Can't stand not having one now.