Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Makino pro 5 , run off a USB?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest MTB Technical Services

+1^^  I don't think it can be done.  My machines will not let me but I haven't changed the channel to do so, but I can't put files in the data server DNC queue while they still reside on the USB stick.

Setting the I/O channel to 17 and using M198 Pxxxx or M198 <ProgramLabel> from a program resident in memory should work.

• Like 1

Thing is the Pro 5 USB is USB 1.0. Not exactly known for speed.

Mike

What year is your machine?

Since it's controlled by FANUC, it's probably whatever the current hardware from FANUC is.

We've got one as new as 2014. Tech said it's 1.0 still which is why they don't dnc from it. Never has ever really been an issue for us since we have everything on the network. The real question is why in the world does Fanuc still only offer 8Meg of memory? This 2015! There's got to be a reason. I hope.

Mike

We've got one as new as 2014. Tech said it's 1.0 still which is why they don't dnc from it. Never has ever really been an issue for us since we have everything on the network. The real question is why in the world does Fanuc still only offer 8Meg of memory? This 2015! There's got to be a reason. I hope.

Mike

You can't run from the USB. It should work but it does not. Tried it on several FANUC machines 0i, 30i, and 31i's... same result.

FANUC DOES offer more that 8MB... Get a Dataserver. You get at least 1GB. That not enough?

You want to ask THAT question, you should be asking why you can only get 32GB RAM in your computer when you can get 3TB drives. :yes:

:coffee:

You can't run from the USB. It should work but it does not. Tried it on several FANUC machines 0i, 30i, and 31i's... same result.

FANUC DOES offer more that 8MB... Get a Dataserver. You get at least 1GB. That not enough?

You want to ask THAT question, you should be asking why you can only get 32GB RAM in your computer when you can get 3TB drives. :yes:

I'll be working on a 310i on Monday.

I'll see if there's any difference because of the Windows interface.

What's so bizarre is that you can run up to 4GB off a PCMCIA card and DNC from it.

Run from the Dataserver. Then no DNC. Just run. :yes:

Something to remember with FANUC... while they may be expensive, their $#!+ is damn near bullet-proof. :yes: 25 year MTBF. EONS ahead of others. I'll gladly pay a bit more for that kind of track record.

Run from the Dataserver. Then no DNC. Just run. :yes:

Something to remember with FANUC... while they may be expensive, their $#!+ is damn near bullet-proof. :yes: 25 year MTBF. EONS ahead of others. I'll gladly pay a bit more for that kind of track record.

An area where I'm glad to see them putting some real effort is the volumetric accuracy for 5-Axis.

This is one area where SIEMENS is still ahead.

I'll take a FANUC any day over SIEMENS.

They just work.

Interesting little tidbit.

I've been training a customer who has a FANUC 31i-A5 with Windows XP Embedded.

It has both a Memory Card and a USB.

You can DNC from the USB with this setup.

It's a bit strange as the I/O Channel is still set to 4 but the USB drive can be set to the I/O device by Right-click.

M198 Pxxxx and M198 <PROGRAM NAME> both work from a CNC Memory resident program to run off the USB.

If I get a chance, I'll try an explicit DNC from the USB and check the restart function as well.

I have confirmed that full DNC via USB on a FANUC is indeed possible if the control is using Windows Embedded for the NC Display side.

With the I/O Channel set to 4, a right-click on the screen allows the user to point to the actual drive available from the Windows interface.

All the DNC options are then available.

• Like 1
  • 5 years later...
2 hours ago, Frank said:

i know this is an old post, but can someone explain what a dataserver is an how it works with the MakinoFANUC?

It functions as another device that the CNC has program access/storage to. It is usually accessed externally through FTP over a network where programs are dropped onto. The CNC then runs from that device. In a 3xi series control (30i, 31i, 32i, etc...) programs can be run from them just as one runs from CNC_MEM. Same editing capabilities, etc...

Older 16/18 series controls you needed to use M198 Pxxxx to run from them. That requirement is no longer the case.

• Like 2
28 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

It functions as another device that the CNC has program access/storage to. It is usually accessed externally through FTP over a network where programs are dropped onto. The CNC then runs from that device. In a 3xi series control (30i, 31i, 32i, etc...) programs can be run from them just as one runs from CNC_MEM. Same editing capabilities, etc...

Older 16/18 series controls you needed to use M198 Pxxxx to run from them. That requirement is no longer the case.

There is also a parameter that switches the data server from an FTP server like device to normal device storage. In some ways this makes it easier. Do a device change to the DS and make it the foreground folder.

• Like 2
  • 10 months later...

OK old thread yes, and new user to this forum too...

I have a Makino A51nx with Pro5 control, I purchased a data server as a was in increase the program storage size. But I think I screwed up as we cannot really run programs from it.

I was sold on it as a way to basically increase the "library" size from the lame a$$ 500kb to 16gb.. It would be great if it worked but I feel that the Fanuc techs and the Makino techs have ZERO idea how to do this. So now we are down and have no real way to run. Parameters were changed and I feel like I am spiraling down an endless hole of despair.

Anyone on here an "Expert" on both the datacenters and the Makino control?  Help would be greatly appreciated.

Justin

On the pro 5, there is a whole page dedicated to the DNC function of the machine. This allows you to select and run one, to many files from the data server. You can either do it here or using M198.  Works pretty well actually. Been a while since all we have here now is pro 6 and it has 2gb of normal memory. Do you have the pro 5 manuals? Did Makino install this for you? This functionality is frequently used because of the prevalence of the brand in die mold machining.

Mike 

If under the hood of the Pro-5 is a 30i-Series (30, 31, 32, etc...) there no need to M198 into the Dataserver. You can, but I never do. It's an unnecessary extra step.

Here's a link to the FANUC Dataserver Manual

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rl98or4a4u7i2f6/FANUC OPERATOR'S MANUAL Fast Ethernet Fast Data Server B-64014EN_07.pdf?dl=0

Dataservers have 2 modes; Storage Mode and FTP Mode. Storage mode is the preferred method for the most part. Mode is typically set from the FANUC Parameters menus. Basically go to Parameters, right arrow soft-key until you see ETHERNET, press that soft-key, from there you can navigate ot all the settings.

Set parameter #929=1. This will ensure any data you load onto your Dataserver will be treated as ASCII text. Some of our customers cannot load FTP software on their machines because IT doesn't allow it so they are forced to use Windows Explorer. Setting #929 to 1 allows the files you load through Explorer to be read by the CNC.

HTH

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, cncappsjames said:

If under the hood of the Pro-5 is a 30i-Series (30, 31, 32, etc...) there no need to M198 into the Dataserver. You can, but I never do. It's an unnecessary extra step.

Here's a link to the FANUC Dataserver Manual

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rl98or4a4u7i2f6/FANUC OPERATOR'S MANUAL Fast Ethernet Fast Data Server B-64014EN_07.pdf?dl=0

Dataservers have 2 modes; Storage Mode and FTP Mode. Storage mode is the preferred method for the most part. Mode is typically set from the FANUC Parameters menus. Basically go to Parameters, right arrow soft-key until you see ETHERNET, press that soft-key, from there you can navigate ot all the settings.

Set parameter #929=1. This will ensure any data you load onto your Dataserver will be treated as ASCII text. Some of our customers cannot load FTP software on their machines because IT doesn't allow it so they are forced to use Windows Explorer. Setting #929 to 1 allows the files you load through Explorer to be read by the CNC.

HTH

Now we seem to be getting somewhere... OK so I set parameter 929=1.

The other issue is that whenever trying to transfer programs to the Dataserver I get a FOCAS Error and this error is non-resettable. Need to power cycle to reset.

I was able to send from PCMCIA to Dataserver, but I do not believe it is 100%.. it is almost like it is a hit or miss.

Lastly I believe when running in Random mode the programs that I assign to the pallets come from the Library and not the Dataserver.

Thanks for any more insight you have.

Justin

focas.jpg

How are you trying to transfer programs when you  get the FOCAS error; USB, CF Card, or Ethernet?

I'm not familiar with Makino's Pallet Management Software. "Usually" (meaning the 4 pallet management systems I've got a fair amount of time with), when you select the program to run on the pallet, you select the program location in either the same menu or the settings menu.

Some machine require the I/O Channel to be set to 5 when running off the Dataserver. This requirement has some configuration/setup dependencies that are too numerous to list. Try this though.

FYI - I/O Channel 0 and 1 = RS-232, 4 = CF, 5 = Dataserver, 9 = FTP (IIRC... I rarely ever use this mode), and 17 = USB.

HTH

• Like 1