Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam X9 Public Beta now open

Mastercam X9 Public Beta is Now Open!

Mastercam and Mastercam For SolidWorks Public Beta Release

We want your feedback! The Mastercam X9 Public Beta release is open to all current customers who are on Maintenance. You can learn more about this Beta release and find the link to download here.  During the Public Beta phase we will be supporting everyone through the Mastercam Industrial Forum, which is staffed with CNC applications engineers, posts writers, technical support, software developers, and QC engineers. As we collect feedback and make changes, we'll make further updates available  via the forum.   

You must be a registered user on Mastercam.com to download the public beta.  If you are not a registered user , when you visit Mastercam.com click the register option in the upper right corner and follow the instructions.

• Like 2

This is how I do it......

Other may go differently but this is something I have done for many versions now

I just keep the update folder on my desktop now, clean it out and update version numbers as they change

The reason I do it in this manner, is I can segregate ONLY the files I want to take from version to version

need to keep the support guys busy  :laughing:

When I was doing tech, I actually found FAR MORE issues with people just using migration and updating EVERYTHING from a previous version to a new version

I have always said the the migration/update procedure NEEDS to be able to be selective, instead of all or none......

Thus, I go with a clean update process   :) and suggest users can do the same

When I was doing tech, I actually found FAR MORE issues with people just using migration and updating EVERYTHING from a previous version to a new version

I have always said the the migration/update procedure NEEDS to be able to be selective, instead of all or none......

Thus, I go with a clean update process   :) and suggest users can do the same

Although your version will be the cleanest possible way to do it, if you use the "Advanced" options under the Migration Wizard, you do have the option to pick and choose what types of files you update, so you can update your machine & posts, but not migrate anything else (for example).  It's a much cleaner & easier way to migrate specific file types without getting everything migrated.

Although your version will be the cleanest possible way to do it, if you use the "Advanced" options under the Migration Wizard, you do have the option to pick and choose what types of files you update, so you can update your machine & posts, but not migrate anything else (for example).  It's a much cleaner & easier way to migrate specific file types without getting everything migrated.

Correct Aaron BUT if I only want to update say the 6 posts I use, I can't do that......or specific OP defaults, tool libraries and the such

JP the updates to the new migration should ONLY update default installed files that have changed.  So if you only have 6 posts that need updating that is all that should update, not ALL posts found in the folder.  Same for machines and controls.  There was bug where the flag used to determine what to migrate wasn't being set correctly so ALL installed files were being migrated regardless if they had been modified or not.

Never use "Migrate" myself. Once bitten twice shy. Perhaps that is what keeps my installs so stable. I'll pick and choose what I want when I want it. :yes: Maybe you guys fixed it proper... maybe not. My way is rock solid and I'm sticking with it. I'll spend my time testing important stuff like toolpaths, CAD and whatnot. :yes:

:D

Well, I decided to put Jim's suggestion to the test......

"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:32","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\AGIE GENERIC AC123 4X WIRE.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\AGIE GENERIC AGIEVISION_AWF 4X WIRE.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\default.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\DYNAPATH SYSTEM_10_20_CONVERSATIONAL 4X MILL.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC FADAL FORMAT_1 4X MILL.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC FADAL FORMAT_2 4X MILL.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC FANUC 2X LATHE.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC FANUC 3X MILL.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC FANUC 3X ROUTER.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC FANUC 4X MILL.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC FANUC 4X MT_LATHE.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC FANUC 4X ROUTER.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC FANUC 4X WIRE.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC FANUC 5X MILL.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC FANUC 5X ROUTER.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:33","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC HAAS 3X MILL.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:34","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC HAAS 4X MILL.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:34","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC HAAS SL 4X MT_LATHE.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:34","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC HAAS TL 2X LATHE.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:34","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC HAAS VF-TR_SERIES 5X MILL.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:34","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC MAKINO 4X WIRE (TECH).CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:34","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\GENERIC TECHNO 4X ROUTER.CONTROL-8","Migration Wizard - Skipped (unchanged)","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:34","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\HAAS SUBS.control-8","Migration Wizard","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:34","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\HURCO.control-8","Migration Wizard","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:34","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\MAM_72.control-8","Migration Wizard","",8128
"Information","3/7/2015","07:55:34","C:\users\public\documents\shared mcamx8\CNC_MACHINES\MAZAK_VARIAXIS_MATRIX.control-8","Migration Wizard","",8128

From a partial screen, you can see that it skipped many that were unchanged and updated only those that needed updating.....

The complete logfile is attached if anyone wants to go over the entire thing

The above I ran ONLY on the shared mcamx9 folder

To follow up I ran it again ONLY on the my mcamx8 folders......

I will note it appears as though everything updated except, my workspace file was left out

and for the hell of it I copied my X8 config into X9

Now, while the directory is correct, it will not show any machines

2015-03-07_8-33-59_zpsst2tfj2z.png

So in the end, Migration, using the advanced option has made many leaps ahead.......

My suggestion at this point at least, leave setting up your config and workspace for a manual operation

McEventLog_3-7-2015_07-56-55.zip

so once the official X9 is released, will we have to uninstall the beta version and start over? i believe X8 was this way.

You will be installing and uninstalling BETA versions along the way.....

"Typically", the final Release Candidate is the same as the public release

The best part of this beta is now I don't have to wait for verify to crash, all I have to do is click the X9 icon and poof instant crash report window...

Are you using an stl for stock?

If so, try creating it as a stock model instead