Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Faceting on radius surface.

Dan@home

What is your toolpath tolerance set at? Set it to .0005 or .0002 and see if that helps.

At a previous shop, we used a .001 tolerance and never had faceted faces. Where I work now, I typically have to use a .0002 tolerance to get rid of the facets. Not sure what caused the difference...model, machine, system the model was exported from??? Anyway, the tighter tolerance fixed it.

Thanks guys will try.

It looks as if it is because of a surface issue. Because I am using a curve 5 axis tp to do the walls, then surface parallel to do a radius floor. The motions are perpendicular to each other. Yet the facets are on the floors of both tps' and are aligned with each other.

Dan.

If you look at your 5 axis settings and measure the steps the little lines are outputting you will see why it is doing that...it is not a surface issue but a 5 axis issue.

You must tighten up the stepovers to about .01...that generates a massive amount of code and your control must be able to handle it.

If you look at your 5 axis settings and measure the steps the little lines are outputting you will see why it is doing that...it is not a surface issue but a 5 axis issue.

You must tighten up the stepovers to about .01...that generates a massive amount of code and your control must be able to handle it.

I have the surface facets cleaned up. The radius on the wall floor using the 5X curve looks like crap. Trying the swarf with your suggestions now.

Thanks,

Dan

If I could see this in verify it would have never reached the machine.

It's easy to miss it if you're not really looking for it. Depending on the size of the part, I may not zoom in very close...I see my verify compare colors are what they should be and I'm off to the races. When I see the faceting on the machined part, I go back and zoom in on verify and there it is. That's how I miss it. Also, my experience is with 3 axis, not 5. Not sure if that changes things.

Anyway, glad you got it figured out.

I always try to position the part so that arcs can be created and then play with the arc filter settings.

remember that arcs can only be created in xy xz and yx planes.anything not in line with these has to be line segments.

Believe it or not, your sugjestion did help surface quallity without changing step over. I change the position of my C axis, so the ball emill isn't using the tip but more of the side. Helped the radius floor considerable.

Thanks.