Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Toolpaths - Transform - Rotate

Scott Lent

Hi, I'm a relatively new user of Mastercam X7 and I'm writing a program for a cylindrical part that will run in my rotary axis (A-axis). I have to drill 18 identical holes, equally spaced, around the circumference of part. They are all located at the same X and Y coordinate. The A-axis will need to index in 20 degree increments to locate each hole.  

I'm wondering if there is a way to use Toolpaths---> Transform---> Rotate to accomplish this. All I've been able to do with it so far is rotate my toolpath about the tool plane, which is not the result I'm looking for.

The only other way I know of to do this would be to create a toolpath for each hole, each at it's own view. This seems like a lot of work, especially if a parameter needs to be changed (now in 18 places)

Any suggestions?

Thanks...

Well, once again I learned something new.. nice video.. transform rotate will do what was asked for though..  To use transform do the following..

Choose one hole.. set it up to drill as normal, then create a transform op, choose rotate, choose tool plane, then in rotation parameters set your amount of rotation and set your view to right or left based on desired rotation direction if your rotary is on X, if your rotary was on another axis you would need to modify which view you use..  then set other rotation options which should be pretty straight forward..

Important thing to note in either case is depending if your rotation view is from left or from right rotation will control the direction of rotation at the machine, if its a pattern all the way around the part evenly spaced its not an issue either way, if its multiple patterns with timing or if its timed to other features its very important to verify your rotation is correct.

Well, once again I learned something new.. nice video.. transform rotate will do what was asked for though..  To use transform do the following..

I took his question to mean he was just looking for the A rotation

Toolpath Transform will certainly do it but it will create a new call at each position, not just A output. That's why I went the way I did

I do rotary transforms all the time with little or no issues. The trick is to set a value for the View (not -1) BEFORE you create the transform op. for Type check Rotate,  Method check Toolplane and Include Origin, and set Work Offset Numbering to Maintain source operations

Hope this helps.

Thank you all for the great advice! While the Verisurf method is definitely the most direct way of doing it, the large corporation I work for does not allow us to install anything into our work stations. I have an educational seat here at home and I did seem to get the results I'm looking for with Toolpath - Transform - Rotate from the information provided here. I'll know for sure later when I get to work and apply it to the job I'm doing.

Thanks again,

Scott Lent

You can also just use the normal "Drill" toolpath, and lay out your points with the spacing between them set by using the diameter of your workpiece.

The formula is Pi X Diameter, which gives you the total circumference around the outside of your part. Take that value, and divide it by the total number of points you want to wrap around the cylinder. You create your points at Z zero, and the spacing will be the circumference divided by the number of points. Create your first point aligned with the Y Axis zero (I'm assuming your rotary table is aligned to rotate around the X axis), then transform the point with that spacing value. (for 18 points, you would transform the original point 17 times.)

Create a Drill toolpath and pick all your points. Then in the Rotary Axis settings, set the option to Axis Substitution and set the proper Rotary Diameter. (Don't check "unroll")

ROTARY DRILL - AXIS SUB.MCX-7