Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Library for NPT Threads???

Incogneeto

I've got taps but I was wondering how you would pick it up for a threadmill as my file doesn't show the thread geometry. Otherwise I would have to assume it can't pick up the taper.

And while I'm at it is there another way to cut the taper diameter besides a reamer ?? that is just out of curiosity I would not attempt it as yet.

I draw them as custom tools.

Lie!

In the threadmilling parameters page you enter in the number of active teeth and taper angle, if any.  I just use an endmill asd the tool type and enter in the dia of the threadmill.  Give it the tool part # and save it a library of threadmills.  All the threadmills we use you get the diameter out of the tool suppliers catalog.  You can also save your different threadmills in an operations library and just import them into your file and reselect the hole center points if you want to.

I never had time to really learn how to save a new custom tool in the libraries ( in X8)

What I do is use the '' save some'' option and save the geometries of the tool as DXF in a folder named mastercam custom tools and if I ever need this tool again, I import or merge this DXF in a new level for the part I'm working on.

I've been doing it this way for a long time.

Is there another way to do it?

Jeff

NPT threadmills (at least the ones we buy) cut the taper as they cut the threads. We bore a straight hole to whatever minor diameter we need, and then threadmill away. I draw a custom tool that has a cutting diameter that the endmill has etched on it.

We do it on everything from plastic to inconel.