Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

ToolPath issues

BrentwoodHS

Hi,

I'm relatively new to CNC and mastercam.  I have been using MasterCam X2 with a Techno CNC Router for some student projects with always one nagging problem I can't figure out.  We have found some creative ways to work around the problem, but not how to fix it. I really need someone to help me figure this out.  So, we normally create our geometry in AutoCAD  and import into MasterCAM as 2007.DXF files.  Most of our toolpaths are either pocket or controur toolpaths.  Here's the problem.  I can't get it to plunge vertically into the material.  It wants to gradually plunge while moving horizontally.  This is presenting one of two different problems.  1st it often ends up cutting material that it shouldn't.  2nd, it does not completely cut all the way around the contour at the correct depth.  (There will be a small section of the contour that does not get cut all the way to the correct depth, because it was still in the process of plunging when it passed that section of the contour.)  I hope this makes sense.  I've attached a picture.  In it you can see to obvious gouges that gradually plunge to finished depth..  Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

post-60933-0-81763400-1429040460_thumb.jpeg

i am using mastercam x6 router level 1 so dont know where the settings are for x2.  turn off lead in/lead out. also looks like u are using ramp in. turn this off also. u have to make sure the cutting bit is designed for plunging into the material as the bottom of the bit will do the cutting when plunging straight down. bits that are not designed for plunging use the side for cutting into the wood while ramping in.

Hi,

I'm relatively new to CNC and mastercam.  I have been using MasterCam X2 with a Techno CNC Router for some student projects with always one nagging problem I can't figure out.  We have found some creative ways to work around the problem, but not how to fix it. I really need someone to help me figure this out.  So, we normally create our geometry in AutoCAD  and import into MasterCAM as 2007.DXF files.  Most of our toolpaths are either pocket or controur toolpaths.  Here's the problem.  I can't get it to plunge vertically into the material.  It wants to gradually plunge while moving horizontally.  This is presenting one of two different problems.  1st it often ends up cutting material that it shouldn't.  2nd, it does not completely cut all the way around the contour at the correct depth.  (There will be a small section of the contour that does not get cut all the way to the correct depth, because it was still in the process of plunging when it passed that section of the contour.)  I hope this makes sense.  I've attached a picture.  In it you can see to obvious gouges that gradually plunge to finished depth..  Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Are you using contour for your engraving if so turn off lead in and lead out and turn comp to off.