Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Noob Post Destination Question

Luke.Hicks430

This may be a very noob question.

When I Post out my toolpaths (G1) while I have a Mill machine selected it will open a save window that asks me where to save this file.

This dialog opens to the folder where my mastercam file is saved.

When I have a Lathe machine definition selected it automatically saves the file to a generic folder without opening a save dialog window.

This means I have to go to this generic folder and get my file and re-save it elsewhere.

I am sure there is some setting that I don't know about that I can change so that the Lathe machine definition will also ask for a post destination like it does for my mill definition.

Can someone point me to this setting?

Thank you,

Luke

It sounds like there may be some issue with your default file mapping.

The default location for the nc file to be posted is C:\Users\**Yourlogin**\Documents\my mcamx8\Lathe\NC\ or the mill would be C:\Users\**Yourlogin**\Documents\my mcamx8\Mill\NC\

That location can be overridden in the lathe or mill control file.

You will need to open the machine def from the settings drop down, go to the control def file,

In the control def file look for files under control topics,

On the files page you can go to the NC output and set a file map to a directory other than the default in the system config.

post-14333-0-35934600-1430339293_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Here is another thought that goes with yours. you have different machines correct. now do you have folders were programs always go for say that machine specific. why I ask is you can make a default folder for each machine to post to. so when you pick a machine and wright a program and say post it will post to that folder always.

Does this seem helpful tool to you?

ok looks as though Cjep gave you this info..

This video walks you thru setting that up.  

CJep, I don't really want it to go to a specific folder every time, I want to be able to choose that folder every time like I can with my mill machine, I guess that's what I'm looking for.

Jay, That is a good idea except that we have folders for every single part we do (we're a job shop) and I would like to be able to be versatile and choose that folder specific to every part.

The mastercam file will be in the folder that I want the program to post to every time so if there is a way to make that the default that would work as well.

Would this feature be in the post processor itself?

So do you have a base folder that has all your projects or customers files in it. I do so I have it default to the folder then I pick the customer folder I want when prompted.

This is how I do it too. Saves a ton of clicking, if clicks could be measured in weight.

From a new / blank MC file...

Settings >> Machine Definition Mgr >> Open >> [The mach you want to change]

Open the control definition & on the Files page check / change the options under the "Post Processing Dialog" button

HTH

Even if "Ask" bubble is checked in Settings, doesn't the control definition setting take precedence ?

Even if "Ask" bubble is checked in Settings, doesn't the control definition setting take precedence ?

Yes, that is set on the same page as the file mapping for the NC code, open post dialog in the lower right of the control def.

• Like 2