Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Leaky Machine Fix

I've got leaks in two of my mills. I need to replace the caulking at the sheet metal seams. Two Millac 853PF-5X lake generators. I'm taking at least one down on Monday to clean the sump and take care of much needed PM's.  I've used GE Kitchen and Bath II in the past after our Daewoo Service technician said it's all he uses for sealing machines. I'm just afraid of it not being durable on the bottom bed of the machine for any decent amount of time. Parts run for 4-9 hours and the chips hold the coolant over the seams.

Any recommendations for what to apply to the Machine?

don't use silicone use a marine sealant. the chemicals in silicone will rust the machine. use SICAFLEX marine sealant. it is made for underwater sealing and will not cause rust. it stays soft and flexible and is made to live underwater. so it lasts forever. it is what the machine builders use when they build the machines.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the feedback. Got the sump cleaned out after 2-4 years of collecting aluminum. ( no one remembers when it was actually done last) Went from maybe 200 gallons in the machine to over 400 flowing freely. Got the Sikaflex in the machine and the sheet metal stopped dripping. Now we just need to replace the rubber curtains that channel the coolant back into the tank and I think the bulk of my lake creating issues will be solved.

Baby steps on getting them back to fully functional. Preventative Maintenance has not been a priority in the past...

I call these two machines "Pigs" for a reason. They are big, smelly, messy things that do produce amazing things.