Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

I had never tried to surface geometry with a custom tool before, but I have to machine in a 45° fairly deep in a material that's slightly harder than a xxxxes heart...  I found an inserted tool that I think might do the job, but can't get MasterCAM to generate the proper surface.  Any advice?

I stripped down my file so I could upload it and show what I'm going for.  The light blue surface is the one I'm needing to add.  The hole is already there.  The custom tool is on layer 113.  The 2 toolpaths are 2 of my attempts...  Thanks everyone!

P.S.  I'm not sure if it helps, but the material is 50RC Inconel 718. 

Painful.mcx-8

As a type of update to my situation, I've tried lying to MasterCAM saying I was using a 1.0" x 140°(included) chamfer mill and/or a 1.0 x .0787CR Bullnose and still cannot get MasterCAM to generate a surface code that I can work with... Tried radial and flowline surface finish, neither accomplishing my goal.  My next and last resort is mathematically figuring what the toolpath would have to be and hand creating the zigzag toolpath that would create the desired surface...  I've had to do this before when the company didn't have a Mill 3 key, but it really kinda sucks...

Alright, I figured out why it wouldn't work with the chamfer mill and the bullnose.  (Feel kinda stupid for this one) Tool was too big.  I'm not sure if that's adding to the problems I was having when generating surface code with a custom tool, but I'm going to scale the tool and double check it Monday.  I'll be sure to let everyone know what I come up with, though I'm not completely sure if anyone's interested lol.   :laughing:

Have a good weekend guys!