Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

drawing lines

petro7

Help Drawing lines .  I have two point 120 inches apart. from these points i need to draw  two lines different lengths which need to connect at there end points 1 line is 194 long and the other is 289 long . is there a way to draw this without figuring out the angles.  I need to do this with a 100 different points so i was hoping for a quick way. I know the length of the three lines so i could trig. out the angle , but was hoping i didn't have to.

• Like 1

Thanks... your right I was looking for the magic of Mastercam. I wanted to draw 2 line from a point the proper length and meet at end points.

If you don't "know" the intersection point, there is no way to do it without giving it an angle.

You have a starting point and a length, you need to know the intersection point or the angle

Ok thanks I was thinking that John but was hoping for something else.

Even in Solidworks you can't do it. You are simply not providing it enough information. I'm not sure what you're thinking on how any CAD or CAM system could perform such a task.....

Sometimes there just isn't an

easybutton_lg_top.gif

:)

In Solidworks draw a circle. Draw a triangle with the 3 lines tangent to the circle and the ends coincident and add the dimensions to the lines. Do not dimension the circle and remember that the sum of the length of any 2 sides can not be greater than the length of the third.

No angle required. Alex had it right the first time.

Draw the two points 120 inches apart. Create an arc with a 194" rad around the first point and an arc with a 289" rad around the other. Draw a line from the intersection of the arcs to the points. You'll end up with two options that you'll have to select the correct set of lines. Nothing quick about doing it 100 times, but it can be done.

It's kinda weird that that is the data that have to start with, but...

• Like 4