Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Which toolpath would you use?

tnttoolingltd

Hi everyone,

I've imported a 3d .ipt into Mastercam and I'm trying to setup the toolpath to machine the part. However, I am not sure which toolpath I should use. I've tried doing a regular contour with a ball nose endmill and it didnt work. I'm pretty new to Mastercam and have only done a few Mastercam programs so far - I've watched many videos and done many tutorials but this is in 3d and I can't seem to get it right.

Description of part:

Its a rectangular part with a 45 degree slanted cutout on each side running through the centre of the part. I don't know how to achieve the slant for the cutout.

Any help would be appreciated - thank you

Joanna

post-61704-0-43041100-1432140322_thumb.png

Without really knowing the part size..

2D Peel mill to rough the center of the slot.. then..

I would use a Surface finish flowline path for cutting the angles, don't know if theres a corner radius in the bottom corners, if there is then you can use any end mill with a smaller corner radius than what is required to cut the angles..

If there is no corner radius then you need to figure out how you want to accomplish that.. easiest way is probably to cut the angle with either a ball mill or end mill with a fairly large radius then blend with a angle mill using a 2d contour or maybe make a second surface finish flowline using a sharp corner endmill to just blend..

In your surface finish flowline params set it up so your cut direction goes back and forth along the angle and your step direction starts at the bottom and going up the angle..

under gap settings, set your tangential line length  to more than 50% of your cutter diameter and you will get a lead in/out on either end..

Thanks for your advice! When I select the area to apply the 2D peel to, mastercam selects the entire piece, even though i just click on the highlighted rectangular area I was to rough out first. Should I be preparing the surfaces first by doing something to them? I've never had to do that before.

Yes I do have surfacing toolpaths and I have the same issue with any toolpath I select, when I select the area to rough out the whole part gets highlighted. Should I recreate the piece? I imported it from an .ipt file originally.

Thank you

Joanna

Thanks for your advice! When I select the area to apply the 2D peel to, mastercam selects the entire piece, even though i just click on the highlighted rectangular area I was to rough out first. Should I be preparing the surfaces first by doing something to them? I've never had to do that before.

Yes I do have surfacing toolpaths and I have the same issue with any toolpath I select, when I select the area to rough out the whole part gets highlighted. Should I recreate the piece? I imported it from an .ipt file originally.

Thank you

Joanna

If you're going to use a 2D tpath you need to use solid edges or lines, arcs & splines

The 2D peel-mill tpath requires one or two edges not a closed loop.

If you're using solid chaining you can't select the face, you would select the edge curves along the bottom of the drafted face.

Sounds like you're selecting the entire solid

If you're gonna learn as you go you might want to look into the Mcam tutorials.

http://www.emastercam.com/board/store/product/708-mastercam-x8-cad-import-mill-level-1-toolpaths-tutorial/