Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Fanuc parameter questions

On the fanuc 21i controller, parameter #3232.1 had a setting to not display my macros. Does anyone know the equivelent for an oi-MD? ( and to save some post response gb space, I know of the #3210 ,#3211,#3202.4 and #3202.6 ones already, I just wondered if they retired the setting or is under another #?)

Also on the oi-md , do #3225,#3226 ,work like #3210,#3211 keyword? And what do they protect? I would like to set a password or even a parameter bit(other than what little Johnny can download in PDFs from the net) to either lock parameters through handy offset or in the system. (Little Johnny already knows how to unlock pwe with PKY.) Can I leave PKY at (0) and use 8900 instead of PKY? Peter Smid wrote #3225 & up help protect other important parameters but not go into details and MTB book ,op or maintenance does not show how or that they even exist on planet earth.

I would STRONGLY suggest avoiding using password protection of parameters because WHEN (not if) that password gets forgotten, misplaced, "accidentally" changed, you're in for a world of hurt that only FANUC can fix.

If little Johnny can't keep from messing around with machine parameters then perhaps little Jonny needs a stint on unemployment. :yes:

If you're worried about changes, then you can also turn on capture history of tool offsets, work offsets, parameters, MACRO variables, Operation History, and Alarm History, see #3196.7, .6, .3, .2, .1, and .0 respectively.

#6031 and #6032 are the range of protected Common Variables

You may want to (I can't believe I'm even suggesting this because I loathe it so...) use the edit key. #3290.7 = 0 IIRC will allow more control over what is locked out.  

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks foghorn , I like your attitude! This is the first of of a few incidents we've had at my work, management doesn't seem to understand how important parameter changes can make the machine inoperatable if not understood completely. I'm the only one in the company who knows how this works ,but I'm no expert, we have a master x axis and slave w axis that both drive a large gantry, an little Johnny changed the #1815 apz (x) axis to zero one time and gantry popped and now throws a 401 Verdi alarm and 218 synch alarm,mtb came out and squared table for about $10,000 but still throws 401 Verdi alarm , I went in and re referenced x and w axis together and they seem to be staying in synch but slave w axis would occasionly (crawl ) away from master x before it threw 401 alarm still. Oh and since then he's clearing history of k-strokes , then switching clear history parameter off in the parameters before he leaves, this was a trainee I was teaching, I been there 20 years, that took some macro examples I presented to management years before he could drink, that I gave him to learn and told them they were his. By the way , they loved his macros, was never a machinist and did it in six months employment. Enough ranting ,sorry!

If parameters are unassigned,then they don't have a PKY or other symbol above them right? How could I assign an empty parameter bit to just unlock (0) or lock (1) the pwe. I want to use one not in any book you know what I'm saying?! Mtb told me I could do it through the Plc but I'm not comfortable and still learning Plc. Oh, and management is learning, I have their full cooperation currently! Sorry so long...

If parameters are unassigned,then they don't have a PKY or other symbol above them right? How could I assign an empty parameter bit to just unlock (0) or lock (1) the pwe. I want to use one not in any book you know what I'm saying?! Mtb told me I could do it through the Plc but I'm not comfortable and still learning Plc.

Not necessarily. When I go to do training on a new machine with a Dataserver that has FANUC 30i/31i with Manual Guide i I ALWAYS change a parameter so that the end user can transfer programs from the USB/CF directly to the Dataserver without having to go through Ethernet... it does not have a title/label, as do a few others that I change. So, if you want to use an unlisted parameter to do something, there's probably going to need to be some ladder/plc work done in which case, you're going to need the assistance of the Machine Tool Builder to do it right AND most importantly to make sure something doesn't get stepped on and royally screwed up.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks very much for the straight and forward answers to my questions! Awesome! I have learned since that I can input password into #3210 ,clear history, set key off to history clear soft key by parameter, exit pew ,power down and up, only then will the password lock ne9 on the oi-md controller, you see before that I was just re locking password, but you can still change ne9 to unlock 9000-up.unless u power down and up. I am very organized with such passwords , even creating spread sheets for every speed / feed I've ran on all materials for twenty years now, thank you for the concern on the part. It's just that.....ok one more question! I know old timers used to use the parameter 8900 pwe bit as a lock, so...do you set that in handy settings as the same way as the PKY, locking the pwe? Or did they use turn it off directly in the system parameters before unlocking pwe? I just thought maybe the kid couldn't figure out something old dudes like me know a little bit about(read: old school) to keep him occupied while I do some good reading by smid or Sinah!