Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

reverse engineering question

Jeff2005

I don't usually get off topic, but I wanted to ask the guys that use mastercam. I am doing more reverse engineering than i am programming using Geomagic software to clean scanned data. my question to y'all is.

Is there any other software out there that would be better and more accrurate than Geomagic Wrap or Design X?

The reason I am asking is, my boss claims that we are not using the most accurate of software. If someone knows what is better, please let me know.

I totally understand if I am out of line posting this here, but just wondering from the programming experts.

thanks for your indulgence.

[email protected]

Jeff

^  Good Call Newbeee^  Sometimes you may have to use a few different suites of software so you can cover all the bases. then it comes down to what is the budget for software going to be .??  For Model manipulation you may want to have a look at SpaceClaim and see if it works for you. Then with what you have  already you may  already be were you need to be to get the job done.

HTH

Best way to reverse engineer that I know is to use a Faro Arm as a 3D mouse.  With the right software you can have a foot pedal click to input XYZ coordinates, so you can do things like Create Arc 3-Points (click)(click)(click) in 3D space on the part.  Makes for a much cleaner model, though for accuracy you are limited to that of the Faro arm.

Thanks for the response. Asking my Boss what is best, he wouldn't know one from the other. I have spaceclaim and Geomagic Design X (rapidform), this is only good for some parts, Geomagic Wrap is what I am using for 3D modeling, With the Steinbichler L3D which from what i've seen, seems to be the most accurate. I am also using Renishaw Cyclone 1, for scanning 2D data. We have a handwork shop which they weld and grind blocks in by hand, and trim edges, when they are broken. This is not ideal conditions. When they bring things to me, they want a PERFECT part and all I can give them is what I see. I am using Mastercam to clean the 2D data. This is what I deal with daily, they think with all of the expensive equipment I have it should be perfect. It is only as perfect as the person grinding it.

I think with all of the software I have, probably is the best. Accuracy falls on the person cleaning the data, or at least that is what my boss assumes.